And the winner is ...

congrats to our top 3: Miners4K, Roll4K, and Goomba4K!

see http://javaunlimited.net/results/ for the full results details!

great contest this year guys, see you next time around!

[quote]shelton (+1): game crashed my computer
[/quote]
Ok, now that just sucks. :frowning:

sigh Note to self. Total immersion games don’t go over well with judges.

I have to say that I’m rather surprised at the judges’ interest in Roll4K. It’s definitely a nice game, but I hadn’t thought it would do as well as it did. Did that left-field anyone else? :slight_smile:

Edit: Doing the average without Shelton’s, I would have had a 95%. So I guess the game did generally go over well with judges. I hope that shelton tried running it more than once. Windows machines can crash for a lot of reasons. :frowning:

Me :slight_smile:

Kev

that vote was a bit unfair, it took alot for me not to edit that to like a +50. gotta keep the contest honest, though.

wish it could be fair though… I mean, I can personally admit Warpstar4K is not a better game ::slight_smile:

Don’t sell yourself short though. It’s a pretty fun game once you get used to the controls. And the graphics are spectacular. :wink:

Edit: Hey Woogley, is there any way to see the results ordered by a given judge’s rankings? Looking through the results, I find the wildly different opinions to be facinating. For example, borkert gave Bungie Bill a 97(!) while nonnus29 gave it a 70. It’s really surprising sometimes what people like. I’d love to see each judge’s thoughts on which were the coolest and the worst. :slight_smile:

Speaking of which, let’s give a round of applause to our judges! 55 games must have been a lot of hard work! Way to go guys!

JM4k in particular, got nailed because the judges had trouble running it.

Oh yea… 46th place. I almost cried :slight_smile:

Sheldon’s vote also pulled me down a bit. Would be 92 without his vote, but its alright. Had to explain the concept like 20 times… so I can somewhat understand that not everyone gets the idea. (It also wasnt that finishing-blow-ish in my case).

Bad Sector’s bad score surprised me a bit. It was one of my personal top5.

[quote=“oNyx,post:6,topic:26524”]
I dunno. The gameplay was neat, but the first-person controls on an overhead game kept frustrating me. That, and every level felt the same.

I’m looking at Fish4K right now, and I’m surprised that more judges didn’t get hooked by this one. I played it for hours trying to get to be the top fish in the pond. Of course, I muted the computer, so that may have something to do with it. :wink:

On fuzetsu, I really expected it to be one of the top 3, along with Miners4k. The concept is a little weird, but it was easy enough to explain to people. Once you realize how it works, it becomes incredibly addictive. In the end, I think it really comes back to how amazingly varied the judges opinions are. As these results show, it’s very hard to make a game that everyone likes! :slight_smile:

Edit: From JSquares, “shelton (+50): didn’t play, took too long for the extra components to install.”

Does anyone know what he might be talking about? As far as I can tell, the game doesn’t do anything that might require special components.

My personal top 2 were Miners4k & fuzetsu. The platform games generally did better than I expected (Note to self - enter at least one platformer next year :wink: ). My top ten would have been a bit different, but then I guess I would be scoring originality (why didn’t I think of that) & programming technique perhaps a bit mored strongly (It’s the nerd in me :o ).

I’m happy with Speed4k’s score (although I’d like to have placed higher). Frag4k was Ok. I thought KanaInvaders would be last, as I only entered that one for a bit of a joke really. Overall, my gameplay was sucking a bit. Need better gameplay next year :slight_smile:

@jbanes I think Xero should have scored higher too. Terrible luck with the computer crash.

Alan ;D

I won! Yay! :smiley:
I love that you can see what each judge thought about the game, even the ones who “just don’t get it”. :wink:

So when does next year’s competition start?

Congratulations!
Miners4k was in my own personnal top 3 (with ‘A spring in the air’ and ‘gravitator 4k’)

Woogley -> Would it be possible next year to remove the best and worst note for each entry?

Why? Those were the most interesting entries.

That’s just an idea… When an artistic part is involved (I think this is the case here), you may have a love/hate meaning to the vote… It may be fairer to remove the extremes (I don’t think it would have changed anything for Miners4k :wink: ) in the final count.

Maybe just a stupid idea :wink:

Ah, I see what you mean. I thought you meant to just hide the comments.

Congrats to the winners !

I didn’t have enough time to participate this year, not even enough to play all the entries, but I’ve had quite a good moments with miners4k !

Lilian :slight_smile:

Not at all… The idea was to keep everything in place (have full access to the scores/comments given by the judges), just remove the highest and lowest scores (ex : for miners4K : remove 100 & 76 -> a final score of 97, for Xero -> 94.6)

Just goes to show how differently people see things. I thought Gravitator should have done a lot better, but it got bad scores for graphics and one judge didn’t get it. I thought gameplay was very good though.

I would like to say a big thank you to all the judges. Your comments were very helpful in determining how to improve for next time. Not just the comments for my games, but also for everyone elses.

Thanks! A bit more constructive comment than “ok” would have been nice from one of the judges, or perhaps that was constructive? Congratulations to the winners, I don’t agree with certain games ratings but in general they seem all right. Thanks to the judges, I had fun, see you next year.

Congrats Markus!

Very worthy winner. Next year you might have to submit your contribution a bit later, so that other coders won’t give up right away, and not submit. :smiley:

Thanks to the judges as well. Good work and really fun to read all the comments.

Yep, that would be very nice to see. It is quite surprising and fascinating to see how diverse the opinions are :o Most (almost all) games in the mid ranges have scores ranging 60 - 90!!! Even Miners and (VERY unfortunately!!!) Xero got some real outside votes… (Xero is second placed in my book)

I agree with “Myself” :stuck_out_tongue: about the scoring “just remove the highest and lowest scores”. It seems like all the judges have a fairly equal share of “outcast” votes though, but might be easier to see with individual judge vote list, sort of like last years. Hint. That might also make it easier to see how JGO ppl and non-JGO ppl were voting. That also surpriced me a bit at first glance.

I agree. And only 0.3 from the top spot :o . I would have guessed top 10 but would not have put any money on top 5. But Kev seems to have the feeling for what really works and nobody will fail understanding the concept. Roll4K had no real outside vote and that is a big reason why it ended up so high in the list.

Easy to understand and especially control seems to be very important. Top 4 games are really quite simple games. Anybody here could probably produce a clone of those games in under an hour (with exception from Miners probably) but it also shows how important presentation and “feel” is to a game. The ball in Roll4K bounces just right. Ctrls in Goomba is spot on and surprisingly for me even when I coded it, the explosions in Balls made the game twice as much fun to play, even though it had no real effect on the gameplay.

Thanks to Woogley as well, for Java unlimited!

roll4k is awesome. :slight_smile:

What about using the median instead of just removing the highest/lowest scores? It’s simpler and easier to explain.

Congrats to Miners4K and Markus - that really is a great game!

Interestingly, my three entries wound up getting ranked in exactly the reverse order of the way I personally consider them. Gravitator is certainly a love-it or hate-it kind of thing. And thanks for the encouraging comments about it, gang! I’m definitely going to continue work on it and will post enhancements soon.

On judging and scoring, if you guys wanted to discard the highest and lowest scores (very standard in athletic judging), that’s called a “trimmed mean”. You’d want more judges (nine in the Olympics), I think, and that might be hard to do.