Alternative themable widget library / TWL Theme Editor

Hello, I am looking for an alternative to this Library that was very powerful at the time.
I tried to recover but the Author has deleted almost everything, the web is broken and it is only archived.
I was able to find the GitHub repository in the same way nothing.

In particular I am interested in this one because of the handling it had with the xml and the real-time preview of the themes or assets.
It was very powerful and read XML Styles very well.

what interests me the most is the functionality of what is marked in bold.
It should be noted that I am not an expert but I am just beginning and I am interested in a similar tool
Autor Matthiasmann
What is TWL
TWL is a graphical user interface library for Java built on top of OpenGL. It provides a rich set of standard widgets including labels, edit fields, tables, popups, tooltips, frames and a lot more. Different layout container are available to create even the most advanced user interfaces.

With the TextArea class TWL also features a powerful HTML renderer which supports a subset of XHTML/CSS: floating elements, tables, images, unordered lists, text alignment, justified text and background images. See the TextArea Demo for details. It is perfectly suited to create NPC chat dialogs in games or integrated help systems.

As games have a high demand on visual identity, TWL provides a very flexible theme manager. The theme manager decouples the visual representation of widgets from the code. Themes are specified in XML and PNG files with full alpha blending for effects such as glow or shadows. These themed can be created using the TWL Theme Editor], which also includes a powerful tool to create bitmap fonts from TrueType fonts.

TWL is also supported on Android but to use it an Android compatible renderer needs to be written

A Scala API is now also available

Link reference

I hope some fallen can help: D
A shame such a strong and promising project put aside

You may want to keep an eye on Skija by Jetbrains. Like TWL it also has a LWJGL backend.

It is still early days for the project and its companion projects are still under heavy development, such as:

1. Compose for the Desktop the declarative UI toolkit.
  2. JWM Java Window Management library.

If I was to guess I would say JetBrains are setting these up to eventually become the backends for their apps/tools like IntelliJ and others.

Given Jetbrain’s good track record and the current poor state of other java gui libraries like AWT, Swing, SWT and JavaFX, the above may eventually become the GUI tool of choice for Java developers.

4 Likes