Alienz 4K

My first ever entry into the 4K comp :slight_smile:

Try it out and lemme know what you think:
http://hsaka.webs.com/alienz4k/webstart/alienz4k.jnlp

If ya need some instructions, check out my page at Java4K:
http://www.java4k.com/index.php?action=games&method=view&gid=228

Looks good.

Why does it have to be a signed application though?

Dmitri

Exactly what I was going to ask.

Well, the thing is I’m new to this whole webstart business, and so I followed the tutorial by Kevin Glass which states:

[quote]The final important thing to note about the Jars you distribute is that they must all be signed.
[/quote]
So I’m assuming then that it need not be signed? :-\

Don’t know about the normal scores.
But just with randomly clicks (as i hadn’t read the instructions) i got 1.231.150 Points woohoo I Like it ;D

Most people like to see big numbers :wink:

Thanks for playing :slight_smile:

Mine isn’t. It runs. You should only need to sign it if you’re doing something which requires you to step outside the sandbox - e.g. accessing the network or the filesystem. There’s very little need to do that in a 4k Java game.

Ok now after reading instructions. It don’t worked as i understood it. Maybe it’s just as english is not my natural language ;D
So just as a hint for the instructions, as i now seem to understood the rules:
You should make it more obvious that all alienz with the correct row/column-amount are removed.

Edit: I wanna have a highscore-list ;D Level39 with 12.3Mio Points.

please remove this game, i can’t stop playing…

The webstart tutorial assumes you’re using natives, JOGL in the case of the astroprime example. To use natives, you need signing.

Kev

@kevglass Ah I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I got a little nervous after seeing my jar size shoot up to 6K after signing lol.

@toasten Yes you’re right, I forgot to mention that part in the instructions. Thanks.
:o 12.3mil!!.. Good Job! ;D

Alienz 4K has been updated. It now looks smoother with some added eye candy.
Also, it is happily no longer signed :wink:

Fun mechanic, but the 2-second timer on the combo bonus really penalises laptop players using a trackpad. Any spare bytes for key control (numbers 1 to 8)?

I think it’s MEANT to be 5 seconds… but the timing code is flawed. I noticed alot of effects that were probably meant to be slower… the blinking score increment, the blinking eyes. The eyes blink so fast now it actually looks like the game is flickering.

It appears that alot of the stuff is updated based on the amount of frames, not the amount of time that has passed…

Pretty fun! I had like 3 million I think before I quit.

Bug report: I think you’re checking the game-over condition before the clearing condition. I dropped an 8 into the only empty square and it was game over.

The instructions are very confusing. I understand the row/column number thing (I think). But, what causes the cascading removal of aliens? This is a dropping piece puzzle game. However, unlike Tetris, you aren’t battling time. Nothing is pushing you forward to make decisions rapidly