Abundant Music: An online procedural music generator

I’ll join the chorus and say I am very impressed!

we have procedural graphics, game play and now music all that is left is sound effects and you can pretty much “generate” a game give a random seed :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“krasse,post:1,topic:39673”]

As generation of the audio is faster than the playback, there is no reason not to generate an infinite audio feed!

Generated gameplay is still left though… :smiley:

We already have generated sound effects :slight_smile: (sfxr)

Where is my procedural generated logic and story?! ;D

Story is already generated :stuck_out_tongue: (Starbound)

Logic? Hmm…

BTW: I’ve now listened to all these example songs … 19 is my favourite :slight_smile: (The link number, not the filenamenumber)

I have improved the system to output better counterpoint when there are few voices active. Also, I used a “modern song structure” for all these songs, which gives more familiar music organization perhaps…
Here are 40 more if you can’t get enough of machine music :slight_smile:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40

Oh cmon… just hand us out the generator :smiley:
Or simply a site, where you can press a button saying “GENERAAAATE” or “GRANAAAADE” and then generate the music and play it… is easy when you use html5. (And have a music generator)

I am working on a site where you write a song name and a seed is generated from that and you get a MIDI or can play it in the browser (with webaudio perhaps?) with some fancy visualization.

Also, (I don’t want to force you to do that) could you please release the jar or whatever you use to generate the audio? :slight_smile: So we get music generated :slight_smile:

In the future, people are going to compete about who can write the best music/novel/movie/game generator, instead of who can make the best music/novel/movie/game.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Added: Youtube video playlist with some handpicked songs

I can’t watch any of the videos. How does it it work? How much human involvement does it take to create a song?

The songs in the mp3s and videos have all been generated with just a single seed (an integer). Human involvement: almost none

For the tool, I want to be able to change sub-seeds so you can keep the overall structure and just change certain aspects of the song.

That’s impressive. Since I don’t have any code or applet to play around with to try to figure out how the magic trick works, I will have to speculate about it. On first impression, it seems like the first few songs are unique to each other. I wonder how much “creativity” it is capable of.

It is basically just a set of constraints and structure templates plus some reasonable randomization on all levels :slight_smile:

I just got to this thread. And…
THIS IS AMAZING :o :o :o

Random food-for-thought: I’ve always wanted to play with using Markov chains to generate music (this isn’t a very original thought BTW)

Wow, this is amazing! I’d love to include music created from this in games. :smiley:

Many parts of the current implementation use Markov chains. Harmony/chord progression is one such part, but it is also combined with a “almost maximum” likelihood algorithm.