4kForge

Given that it took me a long time to figure out how to get a good compression chain working, and even longer how to correctly host the resulting pack200’ed applet, I thought I’d distill what I figured out into an easy-to-use package. Hence, I present you 4kForge: http://www.zarkonnen.com/4kforge/

Once installed, 4kForge lets you compile&shrink your game using a single shell script invocation, and start a server that hosts the resulted .pack.gz with another. 4kForge is available in Linux and OS X flavours, and comes with no warranty of any kind, or guarantee of correct functioning, or guarantee it will not go back in time, kill your grandfather, and cause you never to be born.

Special thanks to pjt33 for his Zip2Gzip and HTTPD programs that make this possible.

no windows?

A windows version would be great, but there are two obstacles:

• I don’t have a Windows machine to test it on. In theory, I can convert the make.sh and startserver.sh scripts to .bats, but I can’t test them.
  • You’d have to manually download ProGuard and kzip. I can’t legally bundle them into the download, and without curl/wget and other tools, I can’t write an automatic downloader.

That being said, if there are volunteers (hint, hint :P) for testing and/or help with the .bat syntax, I’ll do my best to make a windows version where you just have to download ProGuard and kzip into the right directories.

You’ve got Java, haven’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:

I don’t mind to test it. Mine is win7 ultimate early version never updated :smiley:

btw you can consider to install virtualbox to just test program on different OS. It’s easy and free. I use it to simulate win xp and mikrotikOS.

You haven’t installed any security updates at all?! Enjoy getting hacked :slight_smile:

VirtualBox is free, Windows is not :wink:

Let’s see the chance I get hacked with hyper bloody suck connection that I have here. Vbox is free, I leave the window to you :wink:

Virtualbox VMs tend to be connected to their host’s network via NAT. Unless he’s actually surfing arbitrary sites in IE with it, he’s probably fine security-wise.

For this kind of testing, you could probably even make do with WINE.