4karnoid (Fork-A-Noid)

4karnoid (Fork-A-Noid)

Here’s a third entry from me. After Xero I feel I should invent some intricate story line however I really can’t think of one that fits :). This is a breakout/arkanoid game where the objective is to smash the blocks by bouncing the ball off the mouse controlled bat at the bottom of the screen.

Features include:

[b]* 6 colorful themed levels (they currently loop)

• 5 different powerups[/b]

Play it Here

Currently running at 3690 bytes compressed so ideas for levels, features, bug fixes and other additions are much appreciated!

Kev

Nice game.

Just two things I noticed. Whenever I get to my 0th life, it just puts me back at three lives and zeros the score. If I get a game over, I’d usually expect to be thrown back to the first level.
And it needs sound, playing a breakout game without a pinging every time the ball hits something feels really odd.

-one of those bonus thingies got stuck midair once
-if there are 2 or 3 balls collecting the multiball powerup is useless (flood the screen with balls… its fun)
-if you die the size of the paddle should be resetted

B=bonus points
M=multi ball
S=shrink
G(?)=grow

And whats the last one?

You could also try a more subtle shading for the bricks. Right now the effect is imo a tad too strong.

Well, its pretty great already :slight_smile:

This is nice arkanoid game. :smiley:
Some constructive suggestions:
I agree with oNYx about brick’s colour and shading - a little too strong. Ball movement seems a little “choppy”. And it would be great (maybe others won’t agree) that you restrict mouse movement inside window only, its a bit confusing when you lost control of your “ship”…

And it would be great (maybe others won’t agree) that you restrict mouse movement inside window only, its a bit
confusing when you lost control of your “ship”…

That would need Robot, which means that it cannot run in a sandbox. Well, you have that crosshair cursor, which should help staying in the window.

Nice game! It would improve greatly if you had a “Boing!” sound when the ball touches the bat and a “Ping!” sound when the ball touches a brick. Or two other suitable sounds. :slight_smile:

sometimes the balls bounces from the ground without the "ship"being there.

the ball frequently hits two blocks at once and reverses 180 degrees.

I am getting the same “laggy” ball. Also, the first level shouldn’t have bricks you cannot destroy. It makes the level too hard for first.

this can be done using mouse dragging events instead of mouse moving ones :slight_smile:

I know… but its damn annoying.

Is then when it shouldn’t ?

Interesting, not sure how thats happening, I’ll look into it later.

Hows that?

Thanks for the all the feedback guys - very useful - new version later today should I get time :slight_smile:

Kev

Hows that?

If you drag you’ll keep getting events even if you leave the component. But you (obviously) need to hold down the mouse button all the time.

Ah, that old chestnut - I thought you meant there was a way to issue drag events into the AWT event queue to cause it to think the mouse was still on the screen :slight_smile:

Kev

New version up, hopefully some fixes :confused:

Kev

I did not find the game that exciting. The game area is to large and bricks to far up. Your given to much time before the ball is back down.

I find myself spending most of the time trying to get the last few bricks that is behind a wall. Sending in sideballs in hope that it somehow will find it way to its target. I guess that is arkanoid, but it gets boring. Maybe you could increase ball speed along with the total number of bounces. That would make it more difficult at the end. Also adding bricks that disapear after 2 or more hits.

A=faster ball?