40x30 EGA Contest

Can I get expressions of interest for a 40x30 EGA game contest. Would be similar in format to Java4K, several months long ending around July.
Applets only, 40x30 pixel canvas with colours only from the EGA palette.

Eg:

I’d be interested in something like that. :slight_smile:

I would as well !

So we can have 16 colours from a palette of 64 colour based on two bits each for Red, Green, Blue?
40 x 30 pixels.

• It’ll need a really small font 8x6, maybe proportional to fit in the maximum number of characters.
  • I wonder if I can do any antialiasing with that limited colour set to get subpixel rendering - Only 16 colours - custom drawing routines?

It would be an interesting challenge.

Edit: A quick go at antialiasing down to 16 colours of EGA palette.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.d.waddington/images/bird.png

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.d.waddington/images/bird30x40EGAzoom4.gif

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/alan.d.waddington/images/bird30x40EGA64zoom4.gif

| ----------Original---------- | ---------16 Colour--------- | ---------64 Colour--------- |

Wow, that’s 1728 screens if it was a 1080p play area! ;D

I think it could also do with 80x60 … why not to be a little different from the other contest ?

[quote]I think it could also do with 80x60 … why not to be a little different from the other contest ?
[/quote]
Other contest?

[quote]So we can have 16 colours from a palette of 64 colour based on two bits each for Red, Green, Blue?
[/quote]
Any colours from the full EGA palette, the 16 colour at a time limit is a bit impractical. I think we just want a retro-feel rather than trying to adhere strictly to all the limitations of EGA controllers.

[quote]Wow, that’s 1728 screens if it was a 1080p play area!
[/quote]
I think we will up-scale to 4x so you don’t have to squint while playing, we will still be easily able to fit all the entries on a single web page.

the one from the screenshot you posted here

It wasn’t a contest, I was just playing around after I saw the 40x30 EGA version of Eye of the Beholder Markus did and thought I had to have a go. I think it makes a great format for a contest and I just posted it as an example.

I’d be very interested - Java 4k always gets on my nerves because of how much effort I have to put into compression. Being able to make whatever I want with a very small resolution instead? Awesome! Great idea. Whenever you get this rolling I’ll sponsor it with a subforum and all my modly powers.

Ops, sorry I misunderstood you .

That’s exact the same reason I don’t bother joining the 4K contests

Ok, well that’s certainly enough interest. It would be awesome if we got another contest as popular as 4k but 6 months out of phase. 4k finishes at the end of Feburary so how about end of August.

Demonpants if you want to go and create a sub-forum and move this post there that would be awesome, but we should probably come up with a catchier name than 40x30EGA first though.

sounds like a great idea, I’d enter.

winner gets to hold the unique forum rank of ‘Pixel Master’ until the next contest where he must defend his title :slight_smile:

What about Like Eegeeay?

No. That’s stupid.

Pixel Press? Tiny Game? Java Mini?

I’m terrible at coming up with names. I could never do a game with a proper story because I would get stuck trying to come up with character names.

PixelBash
PixelJam
MicroJam
?

interesting, it is the challenge of compressing a fully fledged game into the 4k limit that appeals to me… compression is one fun part of it :slight_smile:

a 40x30 pixel comp is an interesting and different challenge. I will have to think about what game would lend its self to such a small resolution

[quote]a 40x30 pixel comp is an interesting and different challenge. I will have to think about what game would lend its self to such a small resolution
[/quote]
Try opening a paint program and create a 40x30 pixel image. Start drawing a few pixels and I think you will amazed at how many ideas start flowing.
Also I think 40x30 pixel remakes have a lot of potential: Mario Bros, Street Fighter, Prince of Persia could all work at that resolution.

I hope 30x40 will be allowed too, better for stuff like shmups :slight_smile:

Imagine if we have everyone’s entry running all at once on the same page (as applets). :o

I think having them all on the same page would be awesome but it would be tricky to get them to all play nice with sound/focus/cpu etc.

Kapta’s entry would have to go on the bottom row or he would screw with the grid layout but other than that I think having 30x40 entries as well would be fine. I’ll draft up some some rules soon.