3D paint software ?

Actually, I try (again…) to do some 3D.
I manage to do some basic 3D engine and loader. But the really hard part for me is starting.
I (somehow) create a mesh with UV map. Now I have to create the texture. So I’m looking for a 3D paint program. With mainly, an “image stamp” function.

I do some search and I find a bunch of software :

Beside Tattoo3D, all are none free. So I will give a try to Tattoo3D, but does anyone use one of this type of software ?

ps : It seems that Blender have something like that… but like usual, it creeps me out and didn’t manage to make it work.

Photoshop CS4 can now do textures directly onto 3D models. There’s also Mudbox by Autodesk, and something called I think Zebra, although I couldn’t find a link.

Tattoo 3D crash at startup for me :’(
I try the demo of BodyPaint. It is quite good but the demo version put big Ms all over the texture.
I don’t want to spend $$ for a software that I will use just a few times :-. Until now, I didn’t find other free 3D paint software.

What about blender? http://www.blender.org/

I have never used it but I’m always visiting their site to see what they’re making.

[quote]ps : It seems that Blender have something like that… but like usual, it creeps me out and didn’t manage to make it work.
[/quote]

I know TrueSpace lets you UV map a texture and it’s interface is a little more intuitive than blender.
And it is free as well.
http://www.caligari.com/

What about Maya, 3dMax ? they use those at Disney Pixar, couldnt be bad.

I’ve tried ZBrush for a while, its quite good and its only 30mb. You can create really good 3d models with it (i mean, REALLY GOOD) with no effort. Unfortunately, i have no idea about how good they are for painting/mapping/creating textures or however the process is called.

There are a lot of demos on youtube

What an old post :wink:

My first aim was to get a cheap one. Maya, 3DMax, ZBrush cost… a lot :P. I know 3DMax and a few ZBrush :

• 3DMax don’t have what I want. It seems that you use the body paint plugin with it.
  • I didn’t manage to do anything good with ZBrush (it seems to have what I want) and it seems horrible to deal with low poly.

true. im not an expert (i used it only for 5 seconds, then quitted) but i spotted that when you zoom in a bit, you start to see everything really pixelated.

Maybe its just us. Anyways, could you do something bigger and then scale down? does it consume a lot of resourses?