$100 USD for model loading

I am currently working on a job, I need to load some model formats into a java object. And I dont have the time to read up on each file specification.

I need support for vrml, 3ds, stl.

Either develop a class to load the models into, something like (seperating group by texture):

class Model {
 Group groups[]; 
}
class Group {
 String texture;
 Face faces[]
}
class Face {
 Vector3f point[3];
 Vector3f normal[3];
 Vector2f textCoord[3];
}

Or alternatively, create a converter to export them as OBJ with support for UV texture co-ordinates.

you might want to look at
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~min/meshconv/
to convert it all to .obj

disclaimer: I didn’t use it, I googled :slight_smile:

Thanks riven.

I tried this and Meshlab. Except they dont support UV co-ordinates.

I need UV support as Im trying to develop a realtime online model viewer for a client.

You might want to use Blender to convert the model for you.

I was hoping to package the file support in the applet itself. Ill ask the client if he has access to the server, maybe installing a converter server side would be easyer.

I thought this thread was seeking a male model and that I was about to make an easy $100... Not this week. Good luck on your real endevour.

http://assimp.sourceforge.net/
Maybe that would help. Its support almoust all formats. You need to hava some wrapper tought.

BAHAHAHAHA!!

Looks like a really great 3D tool. Looking forward to the Java documentation.

I guess Im going to drop the job for the moment, its going to be too much work also implementing the 3D formats along with the model viewer program aswell.

Do keep the Jagatoo tool in mind, it already supports a dozen or so 3d model formats, so might be an idea to plug any new formats that you create into it, thus also allowing you to use the existing formats that it supports (while at the same time helping other projects that might use it).

OBJ is amazingly easy to understand and import. And it supports everything you want.