Xero - The Last Hope for Mankind

The boss gives, (lemme see here) a total of 2,560 points. You get 10 points for each hit you score on the boss.

[quote]kind of easy once you collected the well hidden homing missiles :wink:
[/quote]
Say what?

[quote] homing missiles?? where??
[/quote]
ok,ok. You can stop looking for them. I just wished there are some… after 40 min of playing (my heart goes slowly back to normal frequency)

I take that to mean that my patented Andreline Booster™ is operating correctly? :wink:

So, now that people have beat the first boss, anyone reached 50,000 points yet? My personal best is somewhere in the range of 64,000 points. I know for a fact that there are players out there who are better at playing this game than I am at programming it. :slight_smile:

#
# An unexpected error has been detected by HotSpot Virtual Machine:
#
#  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x6d0b646e, pid=3540, tid=3844
#
# Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (1.5.0_06-b05 mixed mode, sharing)
# Problematic frame:
# C  [awt.dll+0xb646e]
#
# An error report file with more information is saved as hs_err_pid3540.log
#
# If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:
#   http://java.sun.com/webapps/bugreport/crash.jsp
#

Crashes on my machine. :confused:

[quote=“Morre,post:24,topic:25979”]
Now that’s just not right. Which OS and Graphics Card are you using? Have you tried rebooting to clear the problem?

No Linux , WTF!! That’ll be a minus for sure!

Why can’t you make it run also in windowed?

[quote=“arne”]
On Linux, right? The manual explains this in the FAQ section.

I’m considering a special windowed version for Linux-only, but I really hate to break up the codebase like that.

According to the bug database, Linux will be fixed in 1.6.

P.S. You can get the latest Mustang builds from here: https://mustang.dev.java.net/

Testing the new fullscreen code will help ensure that Linux is (finally!) ready for serious gaming.

On XP Pro, Geforce FX5200. Haven’t tried rebooting yet - will tomorrow.

[quote=“Morre,post:28,topic:25979”]
That configuration should work fine. I think rebooting is probably your best bet. Java sometimes screws itself up when dealing with graphics modes.

no linux support :’( :’( :’(

yes its fixed in 1.6 but competition is aimed at 1.4, besides i like to play in windowed mode, especially with the boss around the office.

Nice entry. Though the slow up/down movement makes the game less fun, there is a reason that none of the “famous” shoot’em ups do this. Still, it’s opinion and you choose how your game should work. Overall it’s still nice!

Cool game, enjoyed it quite a bit!

I am quite surprised that there aren’t more shootemups in these compos, since it’s always fun to play these. I haven’t had the time to play it all that much yet, but I felt that the badies comes in VERY uneven bursts. At start of level 3 it seemed like it was just as many badies on the screen at once as it has been all together before in the game… Thinking that gradually see more and more badies that early in the game would be nice. Maybe I’ll change my mind after a play a bit more, haven’t made it past boss.

Nice looking and like the rate of bullets, makes you feel powerfull :slight_smile: Nice high pace and definitly good Andreline Booster :wink:

[quote=“DonaldEKnuth,post:31,topic:25979”]
Actually, the best shoot’em ups of all time (e.g. Galaga, Zaxxon, Space Invaders) don’t allow vertical movement at all! :wink:

I think if you go back to most shooters, you’ll find that the vertical movement is different than the lateral movement. The only difference is that forward is usually faster than backwards. (Xevious, for example.) After the first comment,.I did try to accelerate the vertical movement slightly, but I wasn’t happy with the results. Trust me, the game is more fun this way. :slight_smile:

Ah, good to see that the Adrenline Booster™ is in full operation. Just wait until you find the hidden heat seeking missiles! :stuck_out_tongue: ;D (I kid, I kid)

Well I got on my Windows box and played it, yay! I agree with the comments about the forward/back speed. If you’re going for the effect of already being at max thrust, well then why can’t we hit the brakes and at LEAST go backward quickly? I’ve seen games do that successfully. Being limited so strongly just really takes away from the gameplay imo.

FYI, there’s a new version up on the server. This version includes a health bar for the boss. I had just enough space to add a special effect to the life bar, so all y’all will have to tell me what you think of it. :slight_smile:

I’ve also ever-so-slightly tweaked the vertical thrusters. They aren’t super-powerful like the lateral thrusters, but the changes might make them feel a bit more seamless.

Cool, but too fast, too hard.

The boss bar is great!
Now the up/down movement is better too.
I past the boss with 1st live but then there are too many enemies imho (they took me all the lives without any pause).

[quote=“jbanes,post:23,topic:25979”]

Well, if not homing missiles at least a double shot ;D

welcome to da club!
where is the V.I.P bar? hello Playboy Bunnies!

by the way, I think you can kick the side movement completely - it is useless cause you can’t move diagonal.
maybe that saves space for a smart bomb?

edit: oh! you actually can move diagonal… didnt use it.

Finally! A player worthy of fame! Check the High Score Club in the manual, Hansdampf . :wink:

If you get a better score, feel free to report it, and I’ll update your entry.