World Rally Driver 4K

That certainly seems like a logical thing to consider, and it’s true. I wouldn’t have spent nearly as long if I hadn’t been trying to beat other people on the list.

Yes. I totally agree. I never meant for the high score table to be included in the competition (it is in no way under 4k!). I have just created a page for the judges that does not include the high score table: http://www.craig-mitchell.com/WorldRallyDriver/JudgesEdition.html There is also a link at the bottom of the main page too.

Tom: How do you drive so fast??? :o Did you crack the code? :wink:

Demonpants: It’s Sweden! Not Siberia! ;D

No I did not crack the code ::slight_smile:

I’ve played it for hours and must have tried hundreds of times before getting the lap times I did. The trick is to get the difficult corner combinations right. With the perfect line you get a good speed out of the corner and that saves a lot of time. One trick is to cut a corner to slow down for the next one. After the competition you should make a non 4k version where you could save your ghost car track to the server. And make it possible raise against the ghost cars of other players. Then you see and learn how they did it.

On the USA track you should never release the forward key. It is possible to take the sharp corner at full speed. Also get as close to the edge of all the corners to get a good speed. I got 1019 once but it was not saved. I think that is the highest score possible.

On the Australia track all that mathers is to get the second last corner right. The rest of the track is easy and you always stay on the road.

The Sweden track is difficult. There is 3 corner combination that has to be perfect to get a good time.

Btw, please add the W key back. I like to use two hands and that is difficult only the arrow keys.

There used to be a full version of this game, but it has been removed/is in hiding :frowning:
http://www.java-gaming.org/index.php/topic,17862.0.html
I think it is the same author, but entered with different nick here at jgo.
It seems like some games go from full version to 4K version.

Well, now you can eat my dust! :stuck_out_tongue:

Managed to squeeze some more bytes out of the track data so the WSAD keys are back. :slight_smile:

Yep. That was my game too. Different JGO nick because my girlfriend at the time thought it was funny that I was on a TV show playing a Ranger…anyway…The game was a prototype. I went back to basics for this 4K version taking what I found worked. Big thanks to all for playing it, and giving feedback. It has helped me out a lot! :slight_smile:

Craigs Race will be back, better then ever. I’m taking the best bits from the prototype and this 4K version. It will feature other players replays, multi-player split screen, and computer cars. After that version is done, I have plans to add police cars, drift mode, and cool stuff like that! ;D

crap!

Were you a power ranger?!?!?!

Hahaha! No, the show wasn’t nearly as kid friendly! :wink: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291671/

I liked this game the first time around. This is great for 4k. If anything it plays a bit better.

Oh, and 1023 on USA. ;D

:wink:

It looks like Andy may also give it a good go… just a bit more practising on the Sweden track, and if he manages 1000 (which I’m sure he will given his other scores) he’d have 3049, taking him to 2nd place. But that last track is soooo frustrating… you have to get so much exactly right to get a good score at all.

My score continues to drop down the list. Oh well, I’m done trying, I think. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just noticed a cheatin’ dude from Germany cracked the code (or guessed one) and entered an impossible high score in. I’ve deleted their score and made the code much harder to crack. So, Tom from the USA, whoever you are, you’re back on top! Funnily enough, the German called himself M. Schumacher…I wonder if it actually was him, he has been known to cheat before! ;D

Hactually me from the UK, playing through a US proxy. Great game. How’d you do the physics?

Thanks Don (or Tom?)! I’m thinking your time may be unbeatable. I can’t even get higher then 8th! :slight_smile: I’ve changed your flag to now be from the UK.

Physics are pretty simple. I have a motion direction that lags behind the car direction like this:

if (trackNum == TRACK_ASPHALT) {
	motionDir += (carDir - motionDir) / 5;
}
else if (trackNum == TRACK_DIRT) {
	motionDir += (carDir - motionDir) / 15;
}
else {
	motionDir += (carDir - motionDir) / 25;
}

The bigger the lag, the greater the slide effect.

Damn you Tim Foden!!! I just got a friggin good time after playing my stupid awesome game for way too many hours, and you come along and beat it! I think I’ll go and play Kart blissfully unaware of how much faster everyone else is.

EDIT: And now you’ve gone an gotten the top score. I must say, I am impressed. I didn’t think anyone could go that fast!

Looks like we need a save/restore or something, so that others can d/l the race and watch… That’d be what, 2-3 bytes? =)

It would just be a big array of key presses, no? Just gotta make sure fps matches.

I actually did code that up. Unfortunately, the call to JOptionPane (so you could copy the data) took way too many bytes and pushed me well over the 4k limit. :’(