That competition- what APIs precisely are allowed?

I’m sure they are allowed - but I’ll ping a few folks and see if they can comment to clarify.

[quote]LWJGL should likely be included, but if it isn’t it shouldn’t cause much grief - they had to draw a clear line, and it is SO much easier for them to say the “CORE” API
[/quote]
That’s the point. Good summing.

[quote]I’m sure they are allowed - but I’ll ping a few folks and see if they can comment to clarify.
[/quote]
Cool, I’d actually like to hear the oppinion of the board about this issue. This competions is sponsored by Sun, and as sun is “backing” the community - with projects such as JGO - it would be entirely justifiable to get the boards “official” stance on this.

I the more I read about this stuff, the more furious I get. I have yet to get any sane reason for doing what they have done.

Yes, easier as in ostrich!
Defining CORE api’s to be something distrubuted by sun (j2xE) and then tag along some random stuff hosted by a random site is complete and utter crap!

So, for the sake of arguing, suppose I register lwjgl as a project on java.net you would then say it’s all of a sudden allowable?

What sun has done, is to ignore a HUGE amount of community projects just because the choose NOT to be hosted by sun, crap crap crap I tell you.

If they wanted to do it PROPER they’d define what technologies that are allowed, NOT which site you may get the technology from! As they start out by saying that a technology should be PURE java I really think they’re bending this several times around themselves to allow JOGL (or any other opengl binding) since it’s not a pure java implementation.

ps. Out of curiosity, are there some problems with using JOGL with 1.4+ opengl since they don’t allow it?

Hmm, I am getting a bit confused here…

[quote]Any “modified” versions, “scripted” games, or any
game that utilizes an external engine not written in
Java programming language will be disqualified.
[/quote]
Doesn’t this sentence exclude jogl, ode and others? - or is a binding not considered as an engine?

actually, I’d like to emphasize this statement:

[quote]So, for the sake of arguing, suppose I register lwjgl as a project on java.net you would then say it’s all of a sudden allowable?
[/quote]
If this is the case, I am off to register lwjgl as a project on java.net

as I see it (http://www.java.net/principles.html) I could just register LWJGL as a linking partner (http://www.java.net/linking.html) and LWJGL is allowable?

Registering at Java.Net would be great :slight_smile:

Now, on to the business of what is allowed. This contest is about this community and game developers finging their way to Java technologies. Of course we are going to allow LWJGL and GAGE to be used. These are popular technologies in this community and well represented here. however, we reserve the right to exclude any APIs not hosted on one of our properties.

I think the reason is obvious :slight_smile:

Thanks!

-ChrisM

P.S. it will take us a little longer to respond due to the massive amount of work at GDC :slight_smile:

Calm, peace, tranquility. :wink:

[quote]Cool, I’d actually like to hear the oppinion of the board about this issue.
[/quote]
The bulletin board, or the elected community board? While the elected board’s observations would be interesting, I don’t think they can really have a say in things - just because Sun sponsors the contest and Sun sponsors the board doesn’t imply any other connection.

[quote]What sun has done, is to ignore a HUGE amount of community projects just because the choose NOT to be hosted by sun, crap crap crap I tell you.
[/quote]
No, I really don’t think there’s any maliciousness intended here. I expect they’ll either come back with a “Yes, of course LWJGL is allowed” or a “Whoops, didn’t think about that, sorry”. This is just a typical Sun balls-up. You must be used to them by now, eh? ;D

[quote]ps. Out of curiosity, are there some problems with using JOGL with 1.4+ opengl since they don’t allow it?
[/quote]
No, not at all. It’s just reasonable to suppose that 1.3 is widely-deployed on testers’ machines, but 1.4 is too recent to be guaranteed. As the rules state, you can actually target whatever platform you want, but if the testers don’t have access to whatever it is it’s your responsiblity to provide hardware for them. Technology using a Flock of Birds might be nice, but unless you’ve got a few demo units you can ship to people, it’s probably best avoided!

[quote]Doesn’t this sentence exclude jogl, ode and others? - or is a binding not considered as an engine?
[/quote]
No, because “Java.Net” APIs have already been explicitely mentioned as acceptable elsewhere in the document.

[quote]If this is the case, I am off to register lwjgl as a project on java.net
[/quote]
Don’t be too hasty, grasshopper! LWJGL made the decision to stay off Java.Net for good reasons, and the current situation really doesn’t warrant changing that. As you realise, if the rubber-stamp of being hosted at Java.Net is all that’s required, then it’s a bogus requirement. No point allowing that policy to persist without good reason - let’s get an official word on what’s going on.

Note well: As of this moment we’ve had no Sun input or explanation as to what’s going on. It’s much more likely that this is an oversight or just a plain screw-up, and until we get an official response there’s no point jumping to conclusions.

EDIT: Ah, and there we are! :wink:

I think it would be a good idea anyway to register Lwjgl on Java.net, because java.net is a very central place, let’s call it portal, to Java fans all over the world, in particular game interested ones. They’re surely much more than registered with this forum. :slight_smile:

And yes, a binding is a binding and not an engine. :wink:

Aside this, Chris answered all questions… so Jogl, Lwjgl, etc are all allowed.

[quote]Registering at Java.Net would be great :slight_smile:

Of course we are going to allow LWJGL and GAGE to be used.
[/quote]
Excellent, just the answer I wanted to hear! - and I have already registered LWJGL as a linking partner - I have added the icon to our new site, however I need to confirm some stuff about the icon size it’s HUGE!) before we can become a “java.net partner”.

Brian is like an angry nest of hornets, all by himself :slight_smile:

Cas :slight_smile:

Remember - getting a project on java.net in the games category requires voting & approval by the community. That is one thing that makes it less arbitrary. Java.net is not “some random site” it is an area that the GTG can oversee.

Anyway, seems everyone is happy now… well except me, I’m so swamped with work getting ready for NAB that there is no way I can crank out a game :(. But that’s a different issue :slight_smile:

one more question, are team entries allowed?
Because me and my friend are considering entering, so how would that be?

Would Java-based MUDs count for this competition as well? Currently working on one 100% Java based and even includes MySQL Connector-J interface as too.

Ditto. But…being late with things tends to happen quite often around here, so I wouldn’t worry. It’s probably a minor glitch. Wait until the week after GDC - when they’re all back at work - and I’m sure the emails will go out.

just arrived.

[quote]Yes and you have me to thank for, i am a genius they saw how smart i am (thru my withy comments) and send the mails immediately.

No need to bow down and thank me, just some human sacrifices will do :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]
???

[quote]one more question, are team entries allowed?
Because me and my friend are considering entering, so how would that be?
[/quote]
Yes team entries are allowed, though one person will have to represent the group by filling in and signing the entry form.