Submitting the game

Sorry for the delay in responding.

Many of the issues cited here are a result of limitations in the way Java.Net works. We’ve tried to tailor the contestant role permissions to limit the amount of potential abuse. Unfortunately, there was some confusion about how various role permissions work, which has led to a number of the issues mentioned in this forum.

For those of you concerned about piracy, you may post a README to the folder with instructions for the judges to get access to your games (and any necessary activation codes)

Sun has no plans to distribute the games entered in the contest, but reserves the right to use the games for demonstration purposes. We also reserve the right to post or provide a link to the game, though this isn’t intended as a distribution mechanism, but rather an opportunity to provide or direct people to more information about the game. Basically, if we pick a winner, but can’t show it off, or privide information about it publicly it’s of no use to us. If you’ve got a game you’re planning to release a year from now, and don’t want anyone to know about it in the meantime, don’t enter the contest.

The game should be playable when entered, and does not necessarily need to be a complete version. If you want to submit a complete version, that’s fine, though it would be impractical for the judges to play a 20+ hour game to completion for the sake of evaluating the entry.

Athomas,

Thanks much for the reply!

-Doug

[quote]Sorry for the delay in responding.
[/quote]
For stuff like this it’s probably better that it takes a while to get a response, but you’ve had time to make the response complete and accurate :slight_smile:

[/quote]
Ah! [me]sees the light[/me]. When you say “link to a game” (here and in the rules) you mean “link to …the promotional website for the…game”, whereas I read it as meaning “link to …the executable for the…game”.

I spend so much time dealing with game executables, I read “game” to mean somethign I can download and play :).

The issue over Sun needing a licence for this now becomes obvious too - due-diligence butt-covering by lawyers to ensure that no-one comes down on you for breaking their “secret pre-release publicity black-out” (as you described above - and which corporations have been sued for before, shocking though it seems).