Rules

Isn’t that like forcing votes upon undeserving games?

We can solve this by randomizing the game list where the users vote.

That has a certain elegance.

Presumably it’ll be the unsigned<=4096 that will be judged, not the signed>4096? (otherwise, I could provide a do-nothing stub app. for the unsigned version, and a game of unlimited size for my signed submission)

This might be a bit late, but… Shouldn’t we force all applets to be unsigned?
Users shouldn’t be forced to give away control of their entire computers just to play a 4k game.

Most of these games do not require any signing. But there is always some one idiot that wants to be able to submit a multiplayer game, and that requires signing the app. In the past, signing hasn’t been considered an issue, but hm, I don’t know. Do we want a rule banning signed games?

Markus makes a good point (users really shouldn’t have to dive through scary dialogs), but I don’t think it’s something that should be ruled out. If a developer wants to waste space by signing while simultaneously stabbing their game’s overall experience … I say… let them.

But, I guess you should take that opinion with a pinch of salt, as I don’t even agree that applets should be enforced. I rather liked some of the fullscreen 4K games back in the day…

I was indeed trying to think of a way to have an incredibly simple 4k MMO. :stuck_out_tongue:

I still want to try it. For the challenge, not to make a good game. :smiley:

FYI: I’ve added the following text to the Rules page. Not really a rule, just a text for clarification on the status of judges.

[quote]Due to the fact there is community voting, judges are free to submit a game into the contest.

• Note: These games will only be voted on in the community vote. They will not be considered by the judging panel, and therefore will receive no score from the judging panel. Community voting is separate and independent from the judging panel, and cannot affect or influence each other. This allows judges to submit games for community voting without worrying about any conflict of interest.
    [/quote]
    If anyone has a rational objection to this, please say so.

I’ve thought about this issue over and over, and can’t think of any conflict of interest. Let me explain: Community voting is by itself a judging panel, and all voters are judges, and consider the fact there is nothing prohibiting voters to judge their own games or games by others. If anything, there is more conflict of interest in the community voting as voters can influence the order of their own game. But I guess the mass should keep things in balance.

I’ve got a sheep herding game in development. It needs signing as it uses the microphone for voice (whistle) control. It’s 2D plan view. You control the shepherd with the keyword and control the sheepdog by whistling. The whistle controller is working!

I’m not entirely clear on how the community voting will be handled. Will the judges’ score be used to create one leaderboard and the community score for another? Or will they be combined in some way?

Perhaps three leaderboards are in order:

• Combined leaderboard (50/50) (games by judges are not listed)
  • Judging panel leaderboard
  • Community vote leaderboard

That seems reasonable as long as it’s not too easy to “cheat” the community vote (making multiple accounts or multiple votes).

Well, it’ll be restricted to user account, and you can only create one user account per email address.

So then if someone wants to they can cheat fairly easily (I myself have 3 email addresses that I actually use, plus countless others that I could probably remember the password for eventually), although it’s probably unlikely anybody would really bother. Either way, can you do a same IP checker or something? That’s slightly harder to bypass.

[quote=“Demonpants,post:34,topic:34610”]
wicked laugh My game is a signed applet which opens an account at Java4K and then votes for itself! Cunning, no?

It doesn’t have to be signed if it’s loaded from that domain. :wink:

Brilliant! ;D

We can make a game where it cunningly discovers the user’s Java4k username and password, and then makes them give it a 5!

Why would you need the password? Hijack the sessionid in the cookie, login, change the password, vote, no way to restore the password, but heck… who cares.

Well, if I hadn’t mentioned, you have to print out a form, and post in via snail-mail to me personally. ::slight_smile:

I can write a program that can do that. :slight_smile: