RESULTS!!!

Big congratulations to everyone, loved all of the 4k games and so did my little brothers.

Everytime a new one was posted i played it and thought ‘this is definitely going to win, i mean how on earth did the programmer make that!’

The judging, hosting, applet setup and everything was perfect, keep it up :slight_smile:

Every participants has proven that less is more when submitted a game. I have to admit it was a brilliant competition.

Thanks for everone who supported my game during voting procedure, judges and community too!!

I hoped that somebody would use my code to create another physics game. I took Chipmunk rigid body engine what I could simplify enough for the contest.

I would like to release C++ and/or Delphi source soon, because Java code really hard to understand.

I usually find the opposite. 8)
FYI: I open sourced my Java Verlet code (which was just a conversion from some existing C++ …to make it easier to understand ;)). Feel free to compare: http://verlet.googlecode.com/

So I promised a “Game of the year edition” version of Burning Man. Here it is.

http://sites.google.com/site/squashmonster/BurningManGOTYE.zip

This includes both the packed version and the regular jar. If it can get published on the site somehow, that’d be absolutely amazing. Otherwise (well, either way, really), I hope you all enjoy it.

cool, no time right now to fully test it but… you should put it on a webserver ASAP ! (if you cant let me know I will put it somewhere on mine), once done you should post it to some java game website : javagametome / http://games4j.com/ (gamejolt ?)

You can add a link in the game description, or add it to the URL field.

Put up an applet on games4j, I’d like to keep java4k.com free of any non-4k games :slight_smile:

That’s still 4k.

Indeed, please appel, follow the spec and serve the JAR when the browser doesn’t send the ‘accept-encoding: pack200-gzip’ header

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/deployment/deployment-guide/pack200.html

Besides, maybe you can simply run unpack200 on the pack.gz files, and create the classes/JARs again? That way nobody has to resubmit their JAR, to make their game work, for just about everybody.

The Java4K site is still showing the winners from 2009! Weren’t we good enough this year? :persecutioncomplex:

I just found a pretty nasty bug in that GameOfTheYear version; please ignore it until I get a chance to fix it.

Oy.

I’ve updated the site so:

Random games from 2010 appear first.

“Judging Winners 2010” and “Community Winners 2010” are then side-by-side.

Then Most downloaded games 2010 and all-times are at bottom.

Great competition!

I am a bit bummed out that I couldn’t take part because of my crappy back, but it was a lot of fun trying out the games and see the creativity. Voting seemed to work quite well also. I think that most of the games I voted for ended up in top 10. There are always some end up a bit differently than what one expects, but it would be shocking if everybody voted exactly the same.

Yup, I think it makes sense that only games that were in the competition are on the site. Id be really happy to see BurningMan on games4j.com, especially since I gave it 5 points. Other games also welcome naturally. Left 4k dead is already up there and a few other 4K games.

Give it a shot to put it up at games4j. It should be very quick and easy, and gamers can play it right in the browser instead of having to download and unpack open web page.

I have in fact been thinking of starting another compo in the void of 4K. One idea would be a “Tribute compo”. There one could make the 4K games with the things that had to be cut to make it 4k, as well as mario tributes (as long as no copyrights or trademarks are broken). It is however very hard to create a competition as great as java4k. :slight_smile: Ideas are welcome.

Since I am on the topic… I am creating “full versions” of 2 of my 4k games:
Perfect Shot
Dune Buggy Bash

java 4k comp works because of the inherent limitations also limit the scope and feature creep… so if there is to be a competition to fill the void in between, then i suggest a ludum dare type competition but increase the time allowed to a week to allow those of us who work time to make an entry.

+1