Quantum - Free RTS

The game runs on a macbook pro with Mac OS X leopard. But the webstart file is downloaded as a php-script, had to edit it and rename it to jnlp.

i’m sorry i can’t think of any other solution. clearly it is related to java including the wrong version of gluegen-rt.jar. quantum.jar includes all jogl dependandies in case of the zip version but they don’t get loaded on your system it seems.

very cool. i have no mac to test on yet. i suspect that the shaders don’t work though. you could check the file log.txt in $home/quantum/. it should tell you if shaders are enabled and if not why they don’t work. otherwise you’ll notice if the game looks ugly :slight_smile:

i will ask my host wheter he can set the mime-type correctly fie jnlp files.

Did anyone try a multiplayer game yet? or create a map? or write a bot? :slight_smile:

thanks to all of you!

Too modest marzec ;D

http://www.actapress.com/PaperInfo.aspx?PaperID=31541

Great game, though I tend to loose a lot.

Cheers W.

They are too good GRR. I did win once though. it was on the test map. cause he would go for one. and then build a tree. then i would just whip him out.

To facilitate match making i implemented a simple IRC client that automatically connects to the APIStudios irc server and joins the channel #quantum. This has a nice side effect. You have to chose a nickname before you start multiplayer. In case this nickname is already used on the irc server it will be extended with underlines until it is unique. It also allows for a bit of a community feeling as you can now also chat with people playing quantum. I could not yet fix the in game menu as well as the planet status popup. I hope to find the time tomorrow. I also plan on including a simple mechanism so you can share your maps easily in game. Also, Johannes, commander in chief of APIStudios, offered me that he’d host a couple of game servers so people having problems with firewalls can still play against each other. For the new features simply update your version to version 1.21 or invoke the webstarter which will do all the magic.

Let the online games begin!

cool IRC. People were on when I got on. I think oyu were even on. but they wouldnt respond though… probably AFK

both me and jattenale were sleeping at that time. i guess it will take some time for a critical mass to form if ever.

what you mean “critical mass” do you mean lots of people playing? if oyu want htat you need mroe publicity than java gaming. But it may be enough. I am not sure.

Also some ideas. you could have different types of trees wich produce different guys. and the better peole take more resources.

yes, by critical mass i mean exactly that. for now i think i have spammed enough forums, java-gaming.org was my most successfull spam fest until now :).

the game mechanics will be improved once i have finished all the other stuff. namely the sound system, map/bot up and downloading and the user interface overhaul. i’ll gather all suggestions in respect to the game mechanics and will then decide what to implement, possibly in collaboration with you people.

Looks like an interesting game going by those screens, but I’m having problems running it on ubuntu 8.10 with GeForce 8600 GT and sun-java 6.10.

With both the webstart and non-webstart version, I get to the main screen. When I click on “singleplayer” or any of the other play options, I get “Error: GL.GL_FRAMEBUFFER_EXT” and I have to kill -9 the java process. By the way, clicking on “check for updates” gives “[StartMenu] couldn’t load image ‘quantum.png’”. The exit button works though, if I click it before clicking on anything else :smiley:

So I’m thinking the problem could be my graphics card, but this card is relatively recent.

Hi,

here’s a couple of things to check:

-what drivers do you have installed? non-free from nvidia? your card supports framebuffers just fine normally.

• are you using a 64-bit vm? there were some problems with jogl in such vms
  • it’s very odd that you get the quantum.png error. especially as the same code is used to load the image for the main menu. maybe i screwed up something in the new version and missed it in my tests. willcheck that.

Thanks for the bug report!

Thank you very much for the webstart link ;D Your game is nice. I always lose but I will succeed one day lol.

Nice catch! After enabling nvidia’s proprietary drivers (v177), everything works (even the update button -_-;). No 64bit anything on this system, btw.

Mouse zoom-in feels nice (like Sins of a Solar Empire) but zoom-out feels unnatural to me. I played against 3 AI on the first map, took out one and then it was 1vs1 against blue, kinda stalemate. Hard game :smiley:

nice to hear! i wished all “bugs” were that simple to fix .)

i will give the user the option to set the ai difficulty viy a slider int the next release. Quantum really shines in multiplayer though. so populate the server!

Looks like a cool game. But unfortunately it didn’t run on my computer. It gave some kind of openGL related exception in the Java console, but the game and console froze so I can’t post it up.

This computer uses a crappy SiS integrated video card, so that probably explains it. (Mind you, Slick games work on this computer, and they use openGL)

Lol TUER works on some (not all) SiS video cards and it does not use Slick :wink: Activate the logging in the Java Webstart configuration so that it writes the traces into a file and let us know what is wrong.

if you have the time could you download the zip version and start it via the command line? the command line will not freeze up so you can post the exception. i have a suspicion.

i just released a new update to version 1.22

I fixed a couple of things mainly related to the gui. You can now also save the recording any time during the game and have different snapshots. This comes in handy if you encounter a bug and game over never happens. I also added an option to control how long it takes before the planet status is shown when hovering over a planet. Apart from that i fixed a couple of bugs which are not really interesting :slight_smile:

Update to version 1.24

• Fixed a bug in the game server. Clients didn’t get notified in the game lobby if the server closed
  • Added capability to save the game to file for later replay and analysis. This works in single as well as in multiplayer mode
  • Added an option to control the delay until a planets status gets shown
  • Added irc chat capabilities for easier match making and finding other players. We are hosted by apistudios so i also added their #idle channel as an optional channel to be used in quantum
  • Redid a few parts of the gui nobody will probably notice. The ingame menu is now a proper dialog
  • Added the ability to upload and download maps to and from the server. This should facilitate the exchange of maps
  • Some code refactoring in preparation for going open source ( which will not happen until march )
  • you now have to set an author a name and a description for new maps. name and author will be shown instead of filenames

Try out the new version, create and share maps and play some epic online battles with your friends. everything is in place now :slight_smile: