Plagiarism

I’m a very ethical moral person, so I dont say its okay to prey on the dumb masses or anyone.

However. The current economy inherently does not care about morals or ethics. Thats it. Whatever you can do to maximize profits you do.
Sometimes you have people hiding stuff, or hesitating because they have second thoughts or whatever. but in the end most of our clothes are made in south asia by people getting payed one dollar a month.
I’m talking about reality not idealism - “The gaming industry is doing things that are unethical” is just obvious to me, since they wanna make money, and its getting harder to do.

Thats why I also dont understand when people are shocked about how animals are treating before made into food or whatever.
If you were an unethical immoral business with the objective to maximize profit, no empathy, than these decisions are completely reasonable and logical. And thats what the economy is.

Funny thing is that pay-to-win has been around since the mid 80s in the arcades and no-one batted an eyelid. Remember those games where you could just put another 10p in the machine to get more lives / health…? You could play and play and play, for as long as you had cash.

Oh, and you didn’t get to keep the game forever either.

Cas :slight_smile:

[quote=“princec,post:22,topic:47173”]
Yeah, compulsive gambling has been an issue for some time as well ;D

[quote=“Cero,post:21,topic:47173”]
Yeah I understand this. I’m also not shocked at all that this is how the system works. However, if this is how the system works then this does not imply that this is right, or that any person acting as part of the system does not have an individual responsibility to make ethical choices. If enough people care about such ethical choices (e.g. treat animals well before killing them and eating them) eventually these choices turn into moral code enforced by social norms or even into law enforced by the justice system (e.g. some countries do have more strict rules on how to handle animals). The system is changeable you know.

Anyway I feel I’m digressing way too far from the topic at hand here, sorry for that :wink: And I dont want to argue that “free-to-play” games or pay-to-win games are the root of all evil. However, I do believe that game developers do have a responsbility to consider the consequences of design choices for their customers, their “fan base”. Video game addiction is a real problem, and it is wrong to make your living out of exploiting such an addiction.

Good luck developing!