Next 4K contest should be Applet only?

I’ll bear that in mind next year. Thanks.

The only reason I voted against Applet-only is because of the design constraints it imposes upon the type of games you can make.
Looking back at past games, if fullscreen mode/DisplayMode switching or Robot manipulation were unavailable several excellent games would not have been possible.

However, you’re argument regarding presentation of the competition as a whole is a convincing one.

So, just for the record -1 for “No!” and +1 for “Yes!”

Damn! …err, with Applets you don’t need a setDefaultCloseOperation(JFrame.EXIT_ON_CLOSE) call, or a main(String[] args) method! ;D

Ah, yes. Fair enough. =)

I’ve changed my opinion to “let people do whatever they wish, but make it easy to host and play applets and webstartable apps directly from the competition site”. Perhaps even with a “make applets the officially preferred method of deployment”.

Yeah, this seems to be the best solution right now. But I do think it’s important to keep the actual applet on a separate page (as in, after clicking a “Play!” link). If one doesn’t do that, they might have an unfair advantage over webstarted games.

I don’t really understand this stuff about unfair advantages. Surely it’s only relevant if the judging is based on number of people who played the game?

I haven’t checked, but fullscreen and Robot use can be done in Applets can’t it? It just pops up a security dialog like WebStart would.

One restriction though, is that each Applet would really need to be of the same dimentions. I. E. 640x480 or something, so that they embed well in the site. This really isn’t that much of an issue I would bet though - especially as most of the WebStarted 4k games I have played “break” when you resize the window.

See, I’d consider that a good incentive for people to use the preferred deployment method. :wink:

you should read the foolowing with a background music with bass :slight_smile: Applet ! , Applet !, Applet ! , Applet !, Applet ! , Applet !, Appppletttt!