Maven: Why bother, and How

Yes I also find it strange how many projects don’t provide jars for download. They go to all the trouble of making a github page, configuring maven and git and whatnot, yet forget to post the project jar file for low fuss simpletons like me to download and use.

I’m pretty sure I tried that and it didn’t work. Don’t quite remember.

Hmm, I just looked it up in a project of mine and it apparently has to be java.srcDirs:

apply plugin: "kotlin"

sourceSets.main {
    java.srcDirs = [ "src/" ]
    resources.srcDirs = [ "resources/" ]
}
sourceSets.test {
    java.srcDirs = ["test/"]
}

The length of the thread should tell you all you need to know. Basically managing dependencies is back to the old DLL hell days of old. We fix it with more config files more tools more apt-get madness and completely ignore the elephant in the room. Dependency hell! Yea somethings are dynamically linked DLL hell (.so hell in Linux) and when it comes to compiling is library hell. Same thing.

I dislike ALL of these tools. I HATE them. I Hate XML as much as The Gary Hates KVN! But often i am forced to use them. I do like to build projects from a git* pull ./simpleCommandAndBuildTheBloodyThingOrTellMeWhatsWrong or a tar -xvzf, cd awesomeProject, ./makeme. Not install an entire ecosystem of build tools! Nor do i want it to go and download 30 other projects! (atom im looking at you!)

But we are creating (or attempting) games correct? We are not going to expect our players to install library and stuff are we? So i make the version i want part of the “binary” and with source i just include the library. I don’t update versions without testing. I hate autoupdate, which is really auto break everything. In C/C++ i statically link as much of everything i can. It creates a large binary, big woop its still like 8Megs. 1995 called and asked for its “fit on a floppy” requirement back.

I have just started with js and html 5… Oh god what a clusterFudge!

I am going to have to give a serious look at SCAR. Interesting.

• Sorry princec, i stopped using svn when it totally corrupted my repo for the second time for no apparent reason. git is fine if you leave out 90% of the features that are meant for the kernel source tree.

Gradle wins for me over Maven because I hate XML format. Gradle uses Groovy or Kotlin, so I can use real code to build real code.

I use the RUN button …