Mario 4k

4k game dev competition != game programming

yes… completely different.

[quote=“Markus_Persson,post:21,topic:25758”]
Yes it does. When you go to be judged, you’re not judged on your technology. You’re judged on how much fun your game is, the quality of your game, and other features related to gameplay. The technology is completely secondary.

Or to put it another way, you could cram the complete game of “Rise of the Robots” into 4K, and you’d still lose because the game stinks. As I said, the greatest lie ever told was that game programming was about technology. :slight_smile:

You’re wrong. =)

I won’t bother arguing over it, though. You can keep thinking technology has nothing to do with games. I’m sure all these cool 3d acceleration hardware and massive cpus would’ve developed just as fast without the games industry to drive it by making end users want it. :slight_smile:

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not saying that technology isn’t important. However, it’s just a means to an end. The problem occurs when the technology becomes the end rather than the means.

For an example, take Quake III vs. Unreal. Q3 was an adreneline pumping action game that was made possible by impressive visuals. Unreal was a very pretty First Person Demo that allowed you to walk around between levels and look at the pretty lights. It was (in a word) boring. Very pretty. But boring. Boring, boring, boring. I know very few people who finished the game before being bored out of their skulls.

Of course, the moment that Q3 came to challenge Unreal, Epic wised up and released Unreal Tournament - a game that very much emulated the action packed play style of Q3. The result was that UT was the hit success that the original Unreal (and its failed sequel Unreal II) wasn’t.

And if you still don’t believe that technology is only a means to an end, then allow me to remind you of three letters that epitimize what I’m talking about: 3DO

3DO proved just how little technology meant when it came to gaming. It trounced the Super Nintendo, the Sega Genesis, the TurboGrafx16, and many of the other contemporary consoles in the technology department. Yet it was a complete and utter failure. The reason given by most owners? The games sucked. I mean, really, really sucked. Very few of the games are considered worth collecting today. Even the popular “Shockwave” game is seen as a rather poor part of gaming history, best to be forgotten.

So it’s important to always keep in mind that the purpose of technology is to open up new types of gameplay. Once you try to make the gameplay nothing more than the technology, you lose. But don’t take my word for it. Take the word of a certain Markus Persson who stated (and I quote), “Instead of tech-madness like last year, I thought I’d focus on the gameplay this year.” I wonder what would ever cause him to make a statement like that? :wink: ;D

Hey… but with this contest in mind, what´s the main focus in the development? i mean, about what the judges will see in one of each entry, technology or fun, or a mix, or one peace of each part? i´m with jbanes about the technology, he´s right (that´s what a i think too), but in a contest like that it´s important to analisy the tech side. Some friends after see some entrys in this contest, say: “how… the graphics is weird”, but the tech behind the weird graphics is impressive, and in the end of contest, don´t get success :confused: . Well… the 4k development isn´t only about when we play the finished game, we get: “wow, this is fun”… but about the hack side, to get something done with a couple of lines, to get a cool side compression with resources and code, to get some cool algorithms working fine, and so on.

jbanes has a point. I’ve seen games come out, such as Perfect Dark Zero for the XBox 360, and I played it. After a couple hours I realized, “ok, the graphics are amazing, yes this technology is super powerful… but I don’t care anymore because this is isn’t even as fun as Doom II.”

Your history is a little off. Unreal was pitched against Q2 (and at about the same time) and promised nicer visuals and better AI. Unfortunately as you say the single player sucked hard.

Fortunately the multiplayer was actually not bad, if a little less action packed than Q2, but most importantly it was the first game to have proper deathmatch bots (I believe one of their programmers produced one of the earliest bots for Q1 as a mod). Both Q3 and UT were announced to be deathmatch-only at about the same time, and were released at nearly the same time. UTs multiplayer was actually not changed too much other than having the levels and weapons tightened up somewhat.

back on topic sirs, or new thread :wink:

sorry to disagree but i must, unreal 1 single player imo wasn’t really that bad, i thought the games atmosphere was brillant at the time, the scripted scenes were very nicely done. then again i prefer quake 2 over quake 3. ;D but thats just my opinion.

sorry about the topic hijack, but yes really must get back or these posts should be moved into a seperate one :slight_smile:

Well… this is a wip version from the game, yepz… has some bugs (collision, jumps, gravity… ), and has 4.8k yet, but this a question of time. :smiley:

get the jar file here: http://www.innen.com.br/ejung/mariowip.jar

I think you are aware of this, but resizing the window makes you see more than you are supposed to.
and standing makes you look to the right even if you walked to the left before. Jumping through obstacles is ok :wink:

I’m looking forward to seeing you pressing music into the first level :wink:

Yeps… heheh, the resize feature stay on to help in the debug (i forgote to remove before make the jar :confused: ), and yes, mario points only to one direction (but this is a minor task to correct, but i’ll fix :D, thankz)… my problem right now is: a better compression with my resource and fix some bugs with physics and collision. :confused:

Nice game! Though the jumping needs some tuning.

Very cool, but it runs REALLY fast on my PC! Any chance on having the movement time based?

The turtle moves right, but mario moves very fast on my pc too.

The new version from the game is in the air (with some bugs) :)… but now with 3.97kb

You could see some screenshots and info in my blog: http://jung.innen.com.br
or download the jar from: http://www.innen.com.br/ejung/mariowip.jar

erick

Is it gonna make it? You’re awefully close to the 4K barrier right now… :-\