JavaFX 1.3 soon?

[quote]http://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT/fixforversion/10237?selected=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.project:version-summary-panel
[/quote]

[quote]Tavis Ormandy, a security researcher who prefers his employer not be named
[/quote]
with a little googling…
aparantly he works for google

sigh

Does Java ever get any GOOD press?

(nothing gets good press on The Register.)

Indeed not :slight_smile: They are famously cynical. But in this case they really can’t be blamed. It’s been rubbish for years, too little too late, and now this. Grrr. Still, Oracle may have grandiose plans to compete with Flash and Silverlight so perhaps they’ll throw money at it and we’ll see Java 3.0 rise like a phoenix from the ashes etc etc.

Cas :slight_smile:

and it gets better :slight_smile:

1.3 is now out. http://blogs.sun.com/javafx/entry/javafx_1_3_released_delivers

cool, nice to see the massive focus on speed.

I see JavaFX content 7 seconds after the Java Console popups up. (which popped up 2 seconds after the page was loaded) (www.javafx.com)

IIRC, it’s factor 10 better than it used to be. But we seriously need yet another factor 10 improvement to be on par with Flash.

How is it overall?

yes still pretty slow compared to the competition (at least in perception). But pretty big improvement on 1.2 which was just unusabely slow. Feels a lot better now but again could do with more speed, hope we don’t have to wait another year to get from 1.3 to 1.4.

You’re talking about cold start, right? Warm start (at least on my box) is very fast. (not that I disagree that cold start needs a lot of work. Hopefully Prism and jdk7’s modules will help with that).

For those who don’t know what prism is - http://learnjavafx.typepad.com/weblog/2010/04/your-calendar-pwn3d-leveraging-the-javafx-scene3d-conditionalfeature.html

Your ‘very fast’ is 2-5 seconds for me. That’s very fast compared to what it used to be, but dog slow, compared to flash. :-X

yes, cold start or running a different applet is about 7 seconds on a modern windows vista laptop.
From the console output it just looks like its doing tons of stuff before starting.

Refreshing the same applet is pretty quick though.

However, running a javafx applet for the first time where (javafx 1.3 is not installed) is a pretty horrid experience. Sudden browser freeze and/or cpu and hd activity going to maximum and can last up to a minute without even telling you whats going on.

My main issue with this isn’t the length of time but lack of visual feedback and sudden mass of computer activity making everything unresponsive.

I’d be pretty happy to wait up to a minute if a nice loading screen was shown in the applet while javafx was being installed however, the system should remain responsive so that I can for example continue surfing in another tab. Again same thing applies to cold start up.

But really startup time needs to be less then a second to really compete with the competition.

[quote]However, running a javafx applet for the first time where (javafx 1.3 is not installed) is a pretty horrid experience. Sudden browser freeze and/or cpu and hd activity going to maximum and can last up to a minute without even telling you whats going on.
[/quote]
Yeah had the same problem. First demo didn’t load the next one froze and it wouldn’t allow me to close my browser(Chrome) and had to force close.

Hopefully next time they do a public beta.

Any news on the JavaFX Authoring Tool?