Incredibuilder

[quote]The levels I played were very easy, I didn’t see a way to fail to be honest.
[/quote]
OK, I’ll reduce the time then.

[quote]The take a while to complete, maybe a bit too long for something that is presumably for casual players. I need quick fixes!
[/quote]
You may be right. I’ll try to make them shorter.

[quote]The primary problem I’m having with the game at the moment is it’s not fun for me to play.
[/quote]
Is it because it’s too easy or what?

[quote]It needs more surprises, combos, explosions - ok, maybe not, but you know what I mean.
[/quote]
That is already plan to include all of that in the subsequent levels.

I’ve uploaded a new version that should improves the points kev mentionned:

• levels should be much more challenging
  • levels are shorter to play due to reduced allowed time and smaller constructions to build
  • level previews have been removed because it was too ennoying to regenerate them each time a level is modified.

Anyone wants to test this new version?

Another new version is there. The first level has a surprise… :slight_smile:

Right, now thats odd - now I can’t complete the first level cause I keep getting blue blocks that I have to bin. :frowning: Can I have a skip tutorial button also :slight_smile:

Found a couple of bugs:

• You can rotate the blocks so that they are outside of the well
  • You can cut blocks that are not connected (this might not be a bug, but does some very odd things :))

Kev

Oh, um, your website’s slogan:

‘Take a ride of full pleasure’

could by a native english speaker (especially someone from the UK) be interpreted in a non-games related way. I’d really consider changing it :wink:

Kev

[quote]Right, now thats odd - now I can’t complete the first level cause I keep getting blue blocks that I have to bin.
[/quote]
Yes, unrelated pieces are part of the challenge now. Maybe there’s not enough time? Normally the blue pieces will apprear 25% of the time. Is it what happens? If not then it’s a bug.

[quote]Can I have a skip tutorial button also
[/quote]
Just go to the level you want. Nothing forces you to start with a tutorial. Is it unclear the way you select the level?

Also, I asked you previously what do you find that is not fun? Or why in your opinion it’s not fun?

[quote]- You can rotate the blocks so that they are outside of the well
[/quote]
Yes that’s an old known bug, which I’ve never taken the time to fix. But it doesn’t really hurt does it?

[quote]- You can cut blocks that are not connected (this might not be a bug, but does some very odd things Smiley)
[/quote]
That’s not a bug; it allows more flexibility to cut blocks. Maybe I should reconsider this in terms of game play?

[quote]could by a native english speaker (especially someone from the UK) be interpreted in a non-games related way. I’d really consider changing it
[/quote]
Ok thanks for the advice, I’ll change it then. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot Kev for all the feedback. That’s really appreciated. :slight_smile: If only others could do the same :-\

Wish I could tell you, it’d be a useful thing to be able to pin point. I just found myself finishing play because I didn’t want to go - rather than being beaten, or running out real life time, or anything.

From what I’ve read in games books perception of fun quite often comes down to providing just enough challenge and significant psychological reward. So either I’m not finding it a challenge (thats different to it being plain hard) and/or I’m not getting enough feedback from the game to give me a buzz - hence the need for explosions :wink:

As to other’s people feedback, meh, people will comment eventually :slight_smile:

Kev

OK, I’ve just played level 3, which is the first non tutorial level ;), and I finished it with 5 seconds left. I’m not the best video game player compared to let say teenagers for reflexes and quick reactions so to me it’s doable but is it too hard? That’s a question.

About the fun aspect, well thanks anyway but to be honest that doesn’t really help me. Anyway, I don’t want to consider your opinion only. Maybe you don’t really like action puzzles after all. If look at games of type “match 3 same colors”, they’re very repetitive but apparently people love this type of game. In my game, the gameplay is not that repetitive. And for the other gameplay aspects I plan to implement, it will be for sure not repetitive.

You said in your previous post that you can’t finish level 3 so I assume that you have challenge then? ??? I have a hard time understanding you now.

About game rewards I guess that the score by itself isn’t sufficient for you?

Fair enough. To me a challenge is something I feel like I could do, but have just missed. Or I feel like I screwed up during the level and could do better this time. When playing level 3 I didn’t feel like that, I felt like it wasn’t possible partly because it just seemed way too tight but a bit because the controls seemed to make it harder.

I think you’re missing the point here. Score is a way tracking progress, it’s not a reward for very long. The sort of thing that makes it fun are “cool” things happening - things that make you smile or buzz just a little bit. Visual effects often do this, but also combo are a good example. When you get a match-3 just right you get a nice long running combo and thats sorta lifts the play for a moment and gives you something to continue for - rewards.

But you’re right, it’s just my opinion. I won’t try again until you’re ready ok :slight_smile:

Kev

I’ve uploaded a new version of Incredibuilder which include the following:

* a new tool, the hammer, is used to brake blocks to help you fit pieces in the construction
* the second tutorial was modified to make use of the hammer tool
* the first real level, which is level 3, now use the hammer instead of the cutter tool
* the new tutorial, which is the 3rd one, demonstrate the use of the cutter tool
* the last level make use of the cutter tool

Very cool. ;D

I have a wide screen laptop so in full screen mode the game looked kind of stretched but still visually appealing. The hammer tool looks nice and was a big help for me since I make so many mistakes.

Cool! Someone that appreciate my game! :smiley: I was somewhat desperate with all the negative feedback from Kev. The fact that very few people give feedback is discouraging some days.

Thanks!

I think your game is very original, colorfully executed, has tight game mechanics, and with a bit more polish can be a very good game.

But I get really bored with games like this (and Tetris, etc.) :stuck_out_tongue: It’s just me, it’s not you. And Kev has a lot of wisdom and is a perfectionist and also one of the most experienced and talented people on this forum. You should probably just be happy he’s giving you pointers. :slight_smile:

I hope you don’t just interpret this as negative feedback:

1. There are FOUR ways of input, each of which does a separate thing; mouse movement (to move blocks… why?), keyboard control (to select tool), mouse clicking (to rotate, and to use tools), and a button to click (to drop a piece). This is at least two ways too many.

Instead, I suggest the following scheme:

Keyboard control to move, rotate and drop blocks, just like in tetris. This totally removes the need for the move tool, and lets the player move the active piece in any way he or she wishes.
Big visibile buttons representing all tools available in the level. Once clicked, the user simply clicks to use the active tool.

If your argument for having the move tool is that it makes the game harder, then I disagree, it simply makes the game more annoying and involved without giving more control. You do not make games harder by making them harder to control.

1. Having to look at the small outline and try to figure out what piece you need to place where while under a time limit is a frustrating experience. Instead, consider moving the outline to be an actual outline on the game area. This will make it much more clear what you need to do.

2. Random blocks that can’t be used in any positive way and have to be removed (ie the blue blocks on level 3) are annoying.

I agree. I never finished one level, and then I just totally gave up. Those control changes would help.

Or conversely go all mouse and use strokes to control tool changes and the like.

Annoying and hard often go hand in hand in games, imagine a game where you have to click a circle, if the circle takes half the screen and appears in the same place it is far to easy and boring. It is important to add obstacles that add difficulty to a game, and difficulty is going to annoy the player. It is also important to integrate those obstacles with game functions, like an in game tool, in order to allow for diversity in the game rather than mundane clicking accomplishing the same thing. I think the blue blocks add to the game play because they add a new challenge and change into the game.

Adding the outline in the actual game area is a good idea and would make the game easier to play. Or maybe changing the color of the blocks on the game area, like a shadow might be more stylistic I dunno.

I strongly agree with settling on one form of input and I think keyboard controls would be easiest, but mouse controls would be more fun for the player. Or add both and let the player choose.

Nice work …

Hey guys, thanks for the comments.

[quote]I think your game is very original, colorfully executed, has tight game mechanics, and with a bit more polish can be a very good game.
[/quote]
Thanks! You say more polish is needed. What do you mean exactly?

About the input issues that people are complaining I think I’ll have to think more about that. I understand that this can make the game too complex for some people. I think that Markus’s suggestion is a good one and everybody that replied to his post seemed to agree. But for keyboard input I’m wondering what’s the best combination? Arrow keys or WSAD? The arrows seem much more intuitive but on the other hand WSAD seem a more comfortable position.

[quote]Big visibile buttons representing all tools available in the level. Once clicked, the user simply clicks to use the active tool.
[/quote]
Markus, do you mean that those buttons would always be shown and available to click? This would eliminate the space bar then.

[quote]2) Having to look at the small outline and try to figure out what piece you need to place where while under a time limit is a frustrating experience. Instead, consider moving the outline to be an actual outline on the game area. This will make it much more clear what you need to do.
[/quote]
I never though this would be frustrating. I might consider moving the plan to the game area but it seems a lot of annoying work to do. :frowning:

[quote]3) Random blocks that can’t be used in any positive way and have to be removed (ie the blue blocks on level 3) are annoying.
[/quote]
Do you like challenges? :slight_smile: It simply add a new type of challenge.

About the difficulty of levels I agree with that. It’s difficult to me to know what’s the correct level of difficulty. I’m able to complete the levels but maybe I’m just to used to it? I’ll change them with much more simple plans.

Hi,

I’ve uploaded a new version of the game. I simply updated the 2 non tutorial levels to make them more easier to play. Could you try them please and give me your feedback please?

When I’ll more time I’ll change the control scheme as I discussed in my previous post.

Thanks