How do I start Java Game Development?

Hi guys, I’m new to the site, nice to meet you all.

I’ve been a 3d artist for quite some time now, however I wanted to code so I started learning programming about 6 months ago. I’m quite the noob, I started with python and now I’m moving into Java mostly because I like the OO approach and I prefer open source tools.

Anyway, I want to make a basic engine with the awt package, just to get a better understanding of how a game engine works. I have found some videos here and there but they not so great, I’m wondering if you guys know about a good tutorial for this, or a source code I can look into?

Cheers!

First of all, welcome.

1. Dont post on random threads with a question.
  2. Dont build a engine as first practise.
  3. Never use awt and game in one sentence :).

Just follow some introduction tutorials for game programming (there are plenty named around this forum).

Hi guys, I’m new to the site, nice to meet you all.

I’ve been a 3d artist for quite some time now, however I wanted to code so I started learning programming about 6 months ago. I’m quite the noob, I started with python and now I’m moving into Java mostly because I like the OO approach and I prefer open source tools.

Anyway, I want to make a basic engine with the awt package, just to get a better understanding of how a game engine works. I have found some videos here and there but they not so great, I’m wondering if you guys know about a good tutorial for this, or a source code I can look into?

Cheers!

First of all, welcome.

1. Dont post on random threads with a question.
  2. Dont build a engine as first practise.
  3. Never use awt and game in one sentence :).

Just follow some introduction tutorials for game programming (there are plenty named around this forum).

I want to make game. I think I will use AWT :point:

Since you are 3D artist, maybe you want jump to 3D game? then I suggest to use library like JME or Libgdx.

I want to make game. I think I will use AWT :point:

Since you are 3D artist, maybe you want jump to 3D game? then I suggest to use library like JME or Libgdx.

Swing uses AWT to paint the GUI widgets…

Swing uses AWT to paint the GUI widgets…

Isn’t Swing getting replaced by JavaFX, which features a Scene Builder? Personally, I’ve never used JavaFX, but it looks promising for user interfaces in general, but maybe not suited for games?

Personally, I won’t use JavaFX/OpenJFX until it gets correctly integrated in both Oracle Java and OpenJDK. There are already tons of libraries not based on it to create games, its memory footprint is higher than the one of Swing and it’s less reliable (and slower) on less capable hardware (especially when it uses software rendering as a fallback).

This page of the wiki needs to be updated as Ardor3D no longer exists, both Ardor3D and JMonkeyEngine uses several renderers based on several sets of Java bindings and JogAmp’s Ardor3D Continuation supports only JogAmp as its name implies.

Isn’t Swing getting replaced by JavaFX, which features a Scene Builder? Personally, I’ve never used JavaFX, but it looks promising for user interfaces in general, but maybe not suited for games?

Personally, I won’t use JavaFX/OpenJFX until it gets correctly integrated in both Oracle Java and OpenJDK. There are already tons of libraries not based on it to create games, its memory footprint is higher than the one of Swing and it’s less reliable (and slower) on less capable hardware (especially when it uses software rendering as a fallback).

This page of the wiki needs to be updated as Ardor3D no longer exists, both Ardor3D and JMonkeyEngine uses several renderers based on several sets of Java bindings and JogAmp’s Ardor3D Continuation supports only JogAmp as its name implies.