Hello JGO!!

Welcome to JGO jDragon!
As for the APIs: I say, learn the way that is comfortable for you. Don’t get bogged down in all the API when you are still trying to figure out Java.
:slight_smile:

What do you mean “suite their games needs”?

I hear people talk about how java2D is too slow or whatever, and I have to be honest, if a 2d game is giving them that much issue, the slowdown is likely somewhere else.

+1

Thanks for all the help!!
I have just a little question: Do I have to master every basic aspect of Java to begin as a gamedev?? For example (ArrayList, JTable, etc…).
I want to know what Java tools I need to master in order to develop a game.

I think you shouldn’t do it like this, you’ll get bored. I’d do it the other way around: learn things as I see the need.
Eventually you should check a book to see if there are better ways of doing what you’re doing.

I for myself wrote java code for 1.5 year or so, then I went studying for the SJCP certification, and I realized I could do many things in better ways. But I think just “learning” a lot of stuff without a real problem/challenge/objective is fruitless.

Hm… Makes sense.
Then you think I need to study more the language Java, programming logic or jump directly to game programming??

If you don’t know programming logic, you should try those small games like “number guessing” games and such, so you kinda do both of them at the same time; java and game programming… and later on you start doing graphical stuff.

I know some programming logic, but I am not a master on it. I’m average level programmer, because I did some applications involving java, db4o, jasperreports, sql… But nothing on par with games. I will try something on this week and show it for you.

Common applications have different logic with game.