Galactic Conquest 4K

Very cool game :slight_smile:
And the space monster is much less frustrating now. The only thing I was wondering about: Sometimes I have one star that produces red instead of green ships. Bug or feature?^^

This might be a bug, if you want to make sure that this does not happen add the following line:

int imgIndex = starOwner[s];
// Render ships in orbit
random.setSeed(starSeed[s]);
g.setColor(starColors[imgIndex]); //this one has to be added :)

Oh by the way, i played a bit with some Perlin Noise to create a nice looking space nebulae background. I used this paper as starting point:
http://www.infiniverse-game.com/?p=articles-creating_nebulae.php

It is not that complicated at all and it looks quite cool. Anyway i doubt that this would fit into the existing 4k game…

Regards

@Localhurst

Thanks a lot for the bugfix suggestion! I’ll see if it fixes the problem as soon as I get the chance (I’m away from home for a few days). The Perlin Noise effect looks quite cool indeed, but it may be a bit too much for 4K.

@Pit

Thanks :slight_smile: The incorrectly colored ships are not a feature, so I’ll see if I can fix that.

If you need to save a few bytes, avoid using Random & just inline the implementation of Random.next(…); it’s very simple, and will cut a load of String entries in the constants pool.

I know I’m late in the game (so to speak) on this topic, but I just found Galactic Conquest 4K, and I’m now completely addicted. I love this genre, but many 4x games go way overboard with complex micro-management. You’ve successfully boiled it down to the core essentials that make this genre fun. (I gave it 5 points in Java4K 2012 community voting.)

By the way, I can consistently win at Easy level, but still only about 50% success rate at Normal.

What an addictive game! I’ve lost but it’s a good game! haha :wink:

Thank you! I’ve been struggling in getting the controls as simple as they are, so it’s glad someone appreciates this :slight_smile: The challenge is to make things (interestingly) complex without making it overly complicated.

Well put - that’s exactly how I like to think about game design. The most elegant games have the most variety from the simplest rules.

Between Galcon and a complex 4X, your game is really distinct from previous entries on the same topic ( 2011’s War of Wars and Moo4k ).

And it is very challenging, which is impressive for a 4 Kb strategy game. I have beaten it once in normal difficulty, and it was a hard fight against the last opponent. I wonder if anyone has already finished the game in higher difficulty levels.

Thank you ;D “Challenge” is such an interesting word… It’s easy to make something difficult, but that’s not necessarily fun or interesting. Challenge is like difficult + Sid Meier’s “a game is a series of interesting choices”. Anyway, I’m in a philosophical mood I guess.

I didnt manage to win the game at difficulty above normal. Also, I’ve started doing some work on making an improved (bigger-than-4k) version of this game, using nicer graphics and sounds (using slick 2d), and maybe making things a little bit more complex. But that may take a while.