[Final Decision] LWJGL or LIBGDX

The OP could just try both and decide for himself.

Btw, fixed function is still used on some consoles so learning it would not be a waste. IMHO.

Some people who come here from other languages (and had made complete games) most likely have a working opengl framework they coded themselves and porting it to another language should be trivial at best(though) I must admit lwjgl does not always conform to the standard opengl prototypes)

[quote=“heisenbergman,post:20,topic:41691”]

Because he’s on that side ;D

Well yeah ;D but I would think that whether you’re for LWJGL or for LIBGDX, one would advocate the importance of a budding game developer being equally well-informed about both approaches so that they could make the choice on their own (and not to push that newbie too much in the direction that you advocate) :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“heisenbergman,post:20,topic:41691”]

Currently:

If a person decides to use LWJGL, what happens? USE LIBGDX! USE LIBGDX! USE LIBGDX!
However, if a person decides to use to LibGDX, nothing.

@People saying they should be presented the options and allowed to choose: Don’t present the options. It will be biased. The very most would be ‘You can use LWJGL/JOGL by itself, or libGDX’

OK, everybody, let’s just stop this argument. If you want to do LWJGL, then fine, do it with that. If LibGDX, then do it with that. It doesn’t matter what you use. There is no reason why we should continue this argument. The OP can decide for his/herself.

::slight_smile:
Unless the argument is solved, it will just pop up in another thread later.

The idea of using LibGDX is because you can avoid dealing with “low-level” or “raw” or whatever things you call it.

If someone like OP willing to do that, which I believe because he has motivation, then be it.

:frowning: You’re not helping… (insert random text for quote rule)

[quote=“HeroesGraveDev,post:26,topic:41691”]
I don’t think it’s an argument that can be resolved or has a correct answer though, so people should just be prepared to discuss it over and over if they’re inclined to do so.

Like what was said above: “If you want to do LWJGL, then fine, do it with that. If LibGDX, then do it with that. It doesn’t matter what you use.”

Whatever suits one’s goal, I guess. At the very least, one should strive to be well-informed about both approaches before deciding, and those more knowledgeable about the topic should help those that need help to that end.

[quote=“HeroesGraveDev,post:24,topic:41691”]

The point is you can write direct lwjgl code with libgdx as well.
And also you are way out of line saying libgdx is hard to setup. Lwjgl is DEFINITELY harder to set up. For basic desktop programming with libgdx you just have to add 2 jars, that’s it.

@heisenbergman: I agree, and have agreed for a long time. It seems that some users of LibGDX aren’t satisfied with letting people do what they want.

@masteryoom: What are you trying to achieve here?

Point taken. Glad you agree :smiley:

[quote=“Cero,post:30,topic:41691”]

FWIW, I had a harder time getting stared with libgdx for whatever reason.

I remember reading a LWJGL tutorial, following it, and I got it running immediately. I think I just added the JAR file and pointed to the naitive library and that was it.

With libgdx, it mentioned Android and HTML5 and wasn’t clear if they were required or optional and if I had to download the Android SDK and GWT and stuff like that

…what I ended up doing was setting up a project using this libgdx project setup tool from aurelienribon.com and I also configured Eclipse to work for Android and GWT developement.

I think I even had to edit CLASSPATH for some of those iirc.

So idk… my experience of setting up libgdx was more difficult than when I tried out LWJGL.

@HeroesGraveDev, I am trying to stop this argument before it derails this thread and it ends up food for the Chitchat Monster :o

I now want to bring this argument to an end.

Let me present a deal.

LibGDX supporters will not try and convert people who want to learn GFX programming to LibGDX.
LWJGL supporters will not try and convert people who don’t want to learn GFX programming to ‘pure’ LWJGL.
When a person asks whether to use LibGDX/LWJGL(/JOGL), you may present your choice and a list of resources and features,
BUT
You may not force it on them and you may not mention the other choice in any negative way or say anything in such a way that leads them to believe that one is inferior to the other.

Just accept that there are different kinds of programmer out there.

But isn’t the thread about LWJGL or LIBGDX… which is precisely what the argument is about…? ;D

Or don’t answer them because this kind of question has been asked hundreds times. Browse the thread list and you’ll see.

No because people will start going “libgdx can do this, lwjgl can do this” and it will become a showoff thread for both libraries which there already are threads for.

@masteryoom: You are the one most responsible for the derailing of this thread. I recommend you stop posting until you have something intelligent to say.

@HeroesGrave
Actually its not about stopping people from using LWJGL once they decided, that they want to use it. its about giving the hint, that if they learn something new to make games, they might be better off jumping to libGDX directly, because it gives them better options to make an advanced game once they overcome the getting started block. there are just more features and integrated tools in libGDX. also there are a lot more people making actual games. getting android support is the next plus if you intend to earn some money.

sure you can do games with LWJGL, but its way more work to get a polished non-trivial game done. There is just too much temptation to burry yourself in fiddling or ending up doing an “engine”, eating up all your time. I’ve been there, burned my spare money, and am back to J2EE now, so might be “biased” - decide for yourself…

But maybe I am wrong. Maybe its better to start with pure LWJGL. youll need to do a bunch of simple (pre-)games to learn anyway, so why not do this in LWJGL, just to get in touch with native libs, low-level data structures and math and do a more educated decision if you are on the verge of creating your own engine or library…

Use jMonkeyEngine

//sarcasm