End of 4K. Thanks all!

12 years is a long time. I was there when it started and now I’m here again to “press F to pay respect”. Hah. What a timeless joke.

Thanks for getting this rolling, mlk.

Thanks for running the site for all these years, appel.

I had fun those two times I actually participated. It was a great competition. :slight_smile:

Yup RIP Java4k it was fun for a long while. This thread seems to have revived the interest in java4k so much that the website is now down (CPU Limit Reached).

With regards to the games that don’t work, I seem to recall this was mostly due to pack200. Can you (i.e. appel) not write a script to unpack all the games, and modify the html src accordingly? I would assume all the packed .jars are sitting on a file system somewhere, so should be doable?

I can’t believe this is the end of the Java 4K. I only participated once which was last year, and I did enter a buggy mess of a game, but it was really fun and enjoyable. Really good for prototyping.

Is there any interest in keeping a 4K java gaming contest going? If so I’d happily organise one for next year. If not, it looks like I’m going to be competing against myself :(.

Well it could be just an informal one. Just create a thread and see if there is any interest… I did plan on “finally” finishing my java 4k project of the last couple of years in this years competition… so I may be a competitor for you :stuck_out_tongue: