Eclipse vs. Netbeans

I searched around and figured out where it is. Wow this is very nice! Thanks :slight_smile:

Check both of it then choose.

I choosed Netbeans because I loved it much better for the first sightā€¦

Or use jvisualvm in command line.

my choice is NetBeans
but is only because of my graphical preferences without technical reasons
also for me made sense that that was officially supported by Sun IDE (download together with branches of Java SDK)

I agree. I have never completed anything with emacs :wink:

Bahahah nice!! :slight_smile:

A friend just sent me this link. It is an interesting comparison of IntelliJ, Eclipse and NetBeans, as viewed from JVisualVM, a great profiling tool that comes free in the JDK.

http://java.dzone.com/articles/best-kept-secret-jdk-visualvm

Amateur/intermediate here. I personally find benefit for them both.
Whenever I install on a new machine, I always install both netbeans and eclipse.

There are certain things in eclipse I canā€™t just live without, that I am sure I could setup in Netbeans but havenā€™t figured out how to yet. Yet the same applies.

I usually donā€™t use both on a single project. but alternate depending on the type of project I am planning on working on.

i.e. a newb tool: there is this auto complete thing that seems to work in eclipse that i can never get to behave similarly in netbeans.

Also when something is wrong(red underline), netbeans requires alt enter? to display tools tips on what to do (i.e. import ____blah blah)

Eclipse forever :expressionless:

Auto complete:

• Tools -> Options -> Code completion tab
  • Select java from the language drop down list
  • Put a check in the ā€œGuess Filled Method Argumentsā€ and ā€œAuto Popup on Typing any Java Identifier Partā€

Netbeans code errors:

Alt-enter will give you hints. You will also notice that on correctable errors such as missing imports there will be a lightbulb looking icon over by the line numbers. Hovering on this with the mouse will give you the same results and clicking on the icon will provide a list of options in a context menu. This allows you to fix mixxing imports for example.

I tend to learn keyboard shortcuts like:

• ctrl-shift-i - fix/add all imports
  • alt-shift-f - format your code

I use these two shortcuts so much I find myself trying to use them in other programs like MS-Word.

As for which IDE is better, personally I stick with Netbeans, but I do mostly web application development and database integration work.

• Iā€™ve found that Netbeans tends to be much more stable, especially in a Windows environment.
  • Though it lacks in plugins, Iā€™ve found that plugins that are there, at least to me seem easier to use.
  • The base/generic project structures in Netbeans seem to me more logically structured and easier to navigate.

Every other month or so I tend to fire up Eclipse because I think that Iā€™m determined to switch due to an issue with Netbeans. After about half a day of tooling around I realize that converting all my existing projects and learning the ins and outs is just not worth my time.

I use both. I use Eclipse for enterprise development (because my friends at JBoss have some nice plugins that make my life so much easier) and I use Netbeans for ā€œmost of anything elseā€. As an actual tool I prefer Netbeans as it gets the spit-shine finish, Eclipse is a little rough around the edges and quirky. Getting better though!

There really is not one tool to do all jobs, I am happy using a specific IDE for a specific project.

use Jcreator for a while.in a few days you will go crazy and download anything but jcreator. use whichever downloads faster or what you chance upon first.you will end up staying with it.

The choice of IDEā€™s really comes down to personal choice. I do all my game development on a Linux netbook, and Iā€™ve noticed that Eclipse preforms far better than Netbeans. Netbeans is suppose to have a nifty Swing designer for fast GUI apps, but it always seemed kinda clumsy.

On my netbook itā€™s the opposite: eclipse is slow while netbeans is much faster ;D

Awesome to know other people get a kick out of java development on netbooks!

A number of the replies in this thread suggest that Eclipse is buggy. I have primarily used Netbeans and tend to favor it, however it is not bug/issue free. My Netbeans cache gets corrupted and must be deleted several times a week. Iā€™ve also had so weird issues with refactoring files.

Even so I still prefer Netbeans, the layout is so much more intuitive and itā€™s not ā€œinformation overloadā€ that Eclipse seems to be when I use it.

Ah, about refactoring files and the like? Itā€™s probably not NetBeans or Eclipse or anything like that.

Any operation that creates a temporary file to store information is susceptible to program conflicts. I kept having some really bad issues with this after I got a new AV/Security program on my desktop. It has a system that scans any file created on the computer and locking it as soon as itā€™s created. This caused me so many issues whenever I was doing a lot of things. In fact, before I found out about this issue I was almost completely against several IDEs, Database Software and installer companies.

If any of the issues are with permissions/processes, itā€™s not the IDE, itā€™s probably something else. :smiley:

On a side note? Netbeans. Netbeans. Netbeans. I used BlueJ, then Eclipse and then moved to Netbeans. I donā€™t know why, but Eclipse is just bleh to me. The only thing I enjoyed about it was the fact that you donā€™t have to write a build-for-store yourself to get it to generate a .jar with inner libraries. xD

REAL programmers use butterflies!

I agree, when I try to do something simple in eclipse like add a jar to the classpath in a project, I right click the project and a huge list of options are shown, most of which look completely useless. Netbeans isnā€™t so bloated. Also, if a feature/add-on is present in netbeans, you can be guaranteed that it works and is supported. But eclipse add-ons are often buggy and incomplete.

One thing I dislike about all IDEā€™s is their reliance on Ant and/or Maven. Stuff like compiling and updating a project should be written in java, there shouldnā€™t be sub-languages that have to be learned.

By and large, Eclipse (and probably Netbeans, I wouldnā€™t know for sure) take care of automatically building everything for you. You use Ant generally for the packaging sort of stage, and deployment, and distribution. When youā€™re just hacking on stuff the built-in function in Eclipse does it all.

Cas :slight_smile: