Blu-Play: An introduction to developers

A month has gone by.

Is anyone exploring BD-J? Working on anything? Or did everyone lose interest again?

It’s been 2 years already. O_o

Did all interest die out? Sure seemed like there was a lot at first.

If anyone out there is still interested in BD-J, I have added some developer pages on the Blu-Play site now:
http://www.blu-play.com/developer

On these pages you can find information on how to get started, various tips’n’tricks and other useful info. It’s still a work in progress but I thought I’d let you know it’s there now.

Developers are also much welcome at channel #blu-play on Freenode for a chat. The more the merrier, as they say. See ya there! :slight_smile:

Most of the developers that responded on this thread (myself included) use OpenGL to develop games. Switching to Java2D isn’t all that attractive unfortunately :frowning:

I figured it was probably something like that. :slight_smile:
But what about a software version of OpenGL?

Can we have a link to your software OpenGL port please? :slight_smile:

I’ve never used OpenGL myself, so I don’t know what I’m missing.
Java coding has always (sadly) only a sparetime thing for me, so it’s only amounted to a few MIDP games and apps up through the years. All I’ve ever known are AWT-like graphics. :slight_smile:

But BD-J is also about taking advantage of video. I’ve started a new BD-J game project a week ago; a simple space shooter, in which I use videos for backgrounds. This can give you 60 fps smooth backgrounds with very little CPU usage. So you play a video much the same way as you’d play music in a game.

I hope to amaze everyone in the near future with this 2nd Blu-ray game of mine, and have everyone go: “Wott? You can do that with Blu-ray???” 8)

We’ll see. :slight_smile:

http://www.java-gaming.org/topics/iconified/37738/view.html

Yeah ^

Thanks!

Looks like a really awesome project you’ve made there!

Sadly I will have to study OpenGL first before being able to put anything together myself, and that won’t happen anytime soon.

I don’t suppose there’s any chance you have some simple 3D demo with some movement in a low resolution that I can try to turn into a BD-J example? Then I can make a video showing how the PS3 handles it. :slight_smile:

Yeah the website I linked in the post has the code for all of those images posted on there

Yea, but aren’t those all just still images? That was my impression.
Are there any movement in any of them?

Yep most of them move or allow you to make the scene move.

I’ve had a look, trying to get the Spot example running.

To make it run some rewrites will have to be made, because there are a few classes and methods you’re using that isn’t available for BD-J / Java 1.3

Such as getRaster() on an image object. No WriteableRaster available. Gotta use an array of ints.

So such thing as a DataBufferInt either, thought there is DataBuffer.

Meanwhile, I stumbled over this japanese site with some old BD-J homebrew games. :slight_smile:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=bu-nyan.m.to%2FBD-J%2Fbdj.htm

BD-J was a thing back 10 years because you could run Xlets off of a USB stick on the PlayStation 3. But then Sony killed that option with a firmware update, and everyone lost interest again.

Well, for everyone wondering about 3D capabilities for BD-J, take a look at this Doom port that is currently being developed:

Note: The slow startup has since been reduced to 15 seconds.