Ant colony simulation

That would be great. I’d love to play this as an applet or webstart. Which method is best probably depends on what framework/libraries you’re using. Sorry if you mentioned that already!

No I haven’t mentioned that yet :slight_smile: It’s running on LWJGL. I looked into libgdx this afternoon, mentions desktop/android integration, if it does applets too that would be perfect

gdx does not do applets. it does html5 via gwt and webgl.

Unless I’m misunderstanding something, you can use LwjglApplet to launch libGDX games as an applet. You can also launch them as webstarts. Here’s a little game I made that uses both, if an example would help: http://staticvoidgames.com/play/?game=AvalancheRider

LibGDX has its own native bits, but if you shipped those over, sure, I imagine it could work. It just doesn’t go out of its way to help you package applets or anything.

Yeah, it works fine. And it’s extremely easy, too. Here is all the code I needed:

public class MyGameApplet extends LwjglApplet
{
	public MyGameApplet()
	{
		super(new MyGame(), false);
	}
} 

public class MyGame extends Game implements ApplicationListener {  
//...

And it works fine. You just have to export it as a runnable jar (which grabs everything for you) and I believe sign the jar, and you’re set!

Updated links at top /info, plus APK. Still need to figure out how to get HTML version (libgdx) to work.

New version on the desktop jar link. Finally getting behind-the-scenes code working good, and can move on to fleshing out the game.

Still having a big issue with performance on mobile devices. GPU is fine, but CPU struggles at about 100 ants (I want it to handle at least 500).

==================== Updates =================

• Antlion added

• Winged version wanders looking for suitable spot for egg
    • (Currently egg grows instantly into larva, for testing)
    • Winged flys away, leaving larva and trap
    • Ants that fall in are eaten
  • UI improvements

• Job assignment window
    • Caste assignment window

========== Current priorities =================

• Finish UI
  • Find bottle-neck in simulation causing slowdown on mobiles

And then there are sound effects, scenarios, saving progress, other tiny details that need to be fixed… Dang, how do ya’ll finish a game? :o

New version on the desktop jar link. Finally getting behind-the-scenes code working good, and can move on to fleshing out the game.

Still having a big issue with performance on mobile devices. GPU is fine, but CPU struggles at about 100 ants (I want it to handle at least 500).

==================== Updates =================

• Antlion added

• Winged version wanders looking for suitable spot for egg
    • (Currently egg grows instantly into larva, for testing)
    • Winged flys away, leaving larva and trap
    • Ants that fall in are eaten
  • UI improvements

• Job assignment window
    • Caste assignment window

========== Current priorities =================

• Finish UI
  • Find bottle-neck in simulation causing slowdown on mobiles

And then there are sound effects, scenarios, saving progress, other tiny details that need to be fixed… Dang, how do ya’ll finish a game? :o

Is this project dead? It was shaping up quite nicely.

Is this project dead? It was shaping up quite nicely.

It was interesting! Played a little.

It was interesting! Played a little.