Annoying Interview Q

After 3-5 years of experience, nobody cares about your education - it only affects your salary. Usually this is ‘too bad’, and a life long punishment for not finishing your education, but you’ll manage just fine with a few hundred / month less to spend.

Working remote is a blessing and a curse - I’d be against it, because you’ll be highly productive, but due to the impared face-to-face communication you’ll miss a lot of signals from ‘the business’ on what they want, versus the spec.

Small companies/startups is the best way to gain new knowledge and skills. I’d hate to be stuck in a large company in some little corner doing the same crap over and over again, regardless of how good the pay is. The Destination is nowhere near as awesome/fun as the journey to get there.

Working remote has its own challenges especially from a management point of view and also communication. I personally prefer working in person with the rest of the team. More fun that way aswell.

“What does a Continuous Integration System (e.g. Jenkins) where the system automatically builds your software, require to do it’s job?”

I would have said it needs configuring.

I have never had to do a coding test as part of an interview, personally I think a portfolio of work or someone showing and explaining their work to you is more beneficial.

A friend was recently asked to explain the what an Abstract class is, he could name the language before giving a definition, also what is an interface. Often we use these things everyday without knowing the wikipedia definitions of them, the interviewers are often not technical people and will be looking for jus that.

@Opiop
If you get into a situation where you need to pump up your credentials due to a lack of college degree, going the “Certification” route might be a reasonable option for bolstering the work experience. But there are things that a college degree offers that are good to have, too, if you can manage to find some time. (I’m thinking about “breadth” requirements like Civics, History, foreign languages, basic writing skills, mathematics background.)

I seem to amplify ambiguity–am always having to expend energy cutting away options. I’d do pretty bad with an interview question like that. But to be honest, a lot has to do with not sharing the same experience or context or points of reference with the other party.

Such a situation might not be the best fit anyway. Employers with not a lot of expertise in what they are hiring for probably really do need someone who’s seen it all and can easily suss out their intentions and correct for their mistaken or limited ideas.

In other words, sometimes stupid questions are useful screening tools. I’m thinking, for example, the Nigerian Prince type scams: might as well make the initial proposal/contact full of obvious signals of the fraud involved because that fails faster with people discerning enough to likely reject the scam as they learn more about it.

In the music biz, it’s kind of like being just good enough to play really well if people around you aren’t making mistakes but being thrown if they get off, versus being good enough not to maintain and play well even when others bungle something in their parts.

I couldn’t agree more. For example, I’ve been asked if I can a name some design patterns. In all the time I’ve been programming, whether professionally or not, I could count on one hand the number of times I’ve heard anyone actually use the name of a pattern (apart from “MVC”), but interviewers expect you to be able to reel them all off with their definitions. In the real world you just do the coding without thinking of the name of a pattern. And the concept of “IoC” had been around for years before I ever knew it had now been formally given a buzzword that interviewers like to ask about.