23 Seconds

@Nate
Hehe, sorry, I hope it’s consoling enough that right now nobody is coming close to your highscore^^
By the way: If I’m looking at your screenshot I’m really wondering if it was worth spending so much time on the background :wink:

@sproingie & ra4king
If I used an ArrayList, then I’d start with a certain min. capacity (let’s say 4000 bullets), use that like a fixed array and only change the array size dynamically if someone is going over that limit (of course, also possible by manually reallocating a fixed array, but this needs more code). Adding/removing every bullet from the ArrayList that appears/disappears would be a performance killer I guess (since this happens very often). A LinkedList wouldn’t work very good either in this situation.
But right now I have still a few bytes left, so if I won’t add anything else I’ll use those to check against the array size and avoid that the game crashes (I strongly assume that with 8000 bullets on the screen, you won’t realize if there are a couple of them missing in a pattern^^).

:smiley:

To remove from either array/arraylist, you could swap the last item with the removed item. The drawing order would sort of flicker though.

Simple yet original game, I enjoyed it! I’m pretty bad at those kind of games though.

Is the Blonde Redhead reference deliberate? ;D

I am the same. =P
All arrays…

No one can mess with my score? Bring it!

@jimeowan
Blonde Redhead? I actually hadn’t heard of them until today^^ An inspiration for the title was rather the Battlestar Galactica episode 33. But gameplay-wise I wanted something between 20 and 25 seconds, so I chose 23 because it’s prettiest of those numbers^^

@Nate
Aargh, I just got 434060 points, so close xD And I lost all my lives in a row too.

By the way: if anyone else posts his highscore I’ll make a list in the first post :slight_smile:

Fear me, because I reached the insane score of 144560 points !!1

http://files.kalam-alami.net/data/public/f/score4k.png

The “R to restart” at the end isn’t working for me. No stack trace in the console, but the game seems to die after I do.

You guys are a bunch of punks! Bring it on! :smiley:

Death by pink gobstoppers! thoroughly enjoyed this. If you have the room I would suggest having the counter go large for the last 5 seconds to build anticipation for the bomb.

Hmm, that’s weird. Unfortunately I can’t reproduce the bug. Does it happen all the time? What happens if you press Escape (during the game to abort it) and then R?
Since I’m on vacation right now, I don’t have the possibility to change anything, but I’ll see what I can do when I return in a couple of days.

@Christopher
If I have the space left I’ll test how it looks :slight_smile:

Yes, it happens all the time; if I press Escape it ends game, but R still doesn’t work.

I’m still not sure what the problem is but I might have an idea. On Sunday or Monday I should be able to try fixing it, I hope I’ll find the bug in the few days that are left^^

Edit:
Oh, and one more question: Which OS do you have?

Linux.

I’ve uploaded a new version with a minor change, but I have no idea if it works now. If not, I guess F5 will have to do the restart job.
I’v also tested the game under Damn Small Linux but there I couldn’t reproduce the bug either.

Edit:
@Christopher
I’ve also tried to make the counter large for the last seconds, but unfortunately it didn’t fit in the remaining space and now with only 2 days left I don’t want to mess up the code too much^^ But still thanks for the idea :slight_smile: